topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox  (Read 43731 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:31 PM »
This review is a comparative look at two cloud synchronizers - SugarSync and DropBox.

Basic Info

App NameSugarSync
App URLhttp://www.sugarsync.com
App Version Reviewed1.7.7
Test System SpecsWindows XP/iPhone 3GS
Supported OSesWindows (XP/Vista/7), iPhone, Mac, Blackberry, Windows Mobile (Beta)
Support MethodsForum, Knowledge Base, Live Chat (Phone Support contract is $99/year)
Pricing SchemeFree version (2GB/2 Computers) - Free.  All others have unlimited computer sync.  30GB - $4.99/month, 60GB - $9.99/month, 100GB - $14.99/month, 250GB - $24.99/month.  Yearly subscriptions available at a discount.
Screencast Video URLhttp://www.sugarsync.com/videos/

App NameDropBox
App URLhttp://www.dropbox.com
App Version Reviewed0.7.110
Test System SpecsWindows XP/iPhone 3GS
Supported OSesWindows (XP/Vista/7), iPhone, Mac, Linux
Support MethodsForum, Knowledge Base, Ticket System
Pricing SchemeFree version (2GB) - Free.  50GB - $9.99/month, 100GB - $19.99/month
Screencast Video URLhttp://www.dropbox.com/

SCREENSHOT OF APP INTERFACE HERE

SugarSyncWebInterface02.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
SugarSync Web Interface

SugarSyncDesktopInterface01.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
SugarSync Desktop Interface

DropboxWebInterface.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
Dropbox Web Interface

Intro:

With so many things moving to the cloud, and so many having more than one digital device, it becomes an issue to keep everything in sync, and to have access to everything when you need it.  Trying to satisfy these requirements are several cloud-based continuous backup services.  I became aware of Dropbox back when it was in beta, and was able to score an invite.  From the moment I did, I was hooked.  It became very much a part of my computing experience, and I was always looking for new ways to use it.  But for all of that, I never saw a reason to pay for it, figuring that I could keep the documents that I needed within the 2GB limit.  This became a bit harder when I purchased my iPhone, using DropBox as a way to supplement my storage on the device through their iPhone app.  One day I was listening to the AppSlappy podcast, and they reviewed SugarSync as an alternative to MobleMe.  I was intrigued, especially since SugarSync also had a free version.  So I tried it.  During my trial of SugarSync, I began to see DropBox in a new light.  SugarSync had many more features.  But when I started to really implement it, I began to see that it was give and take, so decided to write this comparative review.

Who is this app designed for:

Both of these apps are designed for the mobile user that utilizes more than one device in differing locations, and also wants to access vital documents on the go.  They seamlessly back up any information not only to the provider's servers, but to all interlinked computers.  I suppose you could also use it for a backup scheme, but I don't think I'd recommend it as your primary backup- more as an auxiliary to whatever backup scheme you choose.  The interesting thing that is a useful feature of both is that deleted files and versions of files can also be archived, so you can use this is a rudimentary versioning system for your documents.

The Good
Dropbox is pretty much an install and forget type of application.  There's nothing to configure, other than the location of the Dropbox if you don't want it to be in the default location.  Dropbox also has an option for LAN sync, which lets it sync much faster if the computers are on the same LAN by copying directly rather than up to the server then back down to the other computer.  There's no desktop interface to be concerned with, and the web interface is minimal, and functional.  You can also designate certain folders as shared, and create automatic photo galleries by sharing folders with photos.

DropboxWebInterface.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

The iPhone interface is also pretty minimal, and common file types are viewable from within the dropbox interface.

Sugarsync has an install and forget mode, where you use the magic briefcase only.  That folder is automatically synced between the computers that have the software installed.  SugarSync also has the ability to sync arbitrary folders that are not in the magic briefcase folder, and even more, to set up sync profiles, so that your work files are only synced to your work computers and your personal files are only synced to your personal computers.

SugarSyncDesktopInterface02.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

Because of this, computers are recognized by SugarSync, even in the web interface, and the files that are available on each computer are displayed.

SugarSyncWebInterface01.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

As with DropBox, you can share folders and photo albums, but you can also get links that expire to send to those that you want to have temporary access to a certain files.  The expiration of the link is very welcome, so you don't have to be concerned with what links are still out there, and whether files are secure over time.  You can also send the file itself.  The status of each of your files is also available, and a transfer queue is available while files are being downloaded or uploaded, so you can see what operations SugarSync is performing.

The iPhone interface is a bit more detailed than the DropBox interface, and allows you to share specific documents by links just as with the desktop interface.

The needs improvement section
DropBox is simple, and it works.  There aren't any real pitfalls with the service as is.  It is just not as full featured as the other service reviewed here.

SugarSync does have a few minor issues.  The manner of moving the magic briefcase folder isn't as intuitive as it is with DropBox.  Once you know how to move the briefcase- by cutting and pasting the folder- it is actually easier than DropBox.  But I had to search to find that information; it is not included in the documentation.  The free client has a serious limitation that I was unaware of, and that you are not openly briefed about when using it; that is, it can only sync between two desktops.  The mobile clients are not considered for this purpose, but this is a limitation that should be openly disclosed considering the fact that DropBox allows you to sync between multiple clients.

Why I think you should use this product

If you are able to place everything that you need in a single folder, and don't mind that it syncs everything across every computer that you install it on, and 2GB is good enough for you, dropbox is definitely for you.  It's a lot simpler in its approach, and if you don't need the advanced functionality, it's basically install it and go.

If you are looking for a free alternative, and don't have more than 2 computers to sync, then give SugarSync a look.  It's definitely more full featured, and the abilities it gives you to sync different folders to different computers, and to sync any folder are very powerful.  I also like the fact that you can send out expiring links; it's one of my favorite features!

As far as paid alternatives go, I definitely think that SugarSync has the edge.  The plans are comparable in space, but SugarSync costs less across the board.  Add to that the fact that they have a $4.99 plan and DropBox does not, and they are the choice to beat.

How does it compare to similar apps

From http://www.sugarsync...sync_comparison.html

SugarSyncComparison.pngMini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

Even though this is from SugarSync.com, doing a quick run-through of the represented services, this seems like a decently objective view of the services.

http://technologykil...ropbox-vs-sugarsync/
http://www.wordinpro...ugarsync-vs-dropbox/

Conclusions

Both products are slick and fill an area that becomes quickly a need instead of a nice to have when you start really using them.  The difference is the implementation.  As a free service, I'd give dropbox a 4.5 out of 5, and SugarSync a 4 out of 5.  As a paid service, those ratings flip flop.  But in either case, you can't go wrong trying them.  I recommend Dropbox whole heartedly- I've been using it for over a year with no problems.  The problems that I've had just in the little while that I've had SugarSync as a paid service and started trying to use it make me not be able to recommend it, no matter what the features are.

UPDATE: Added a couple of other comparative reviews.

UPDATE: Removed recommendation for SugarSync.  See https://www.donation....msg204037#msg204037
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:57 PM by wraith808 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Extremely useful post -- thank you for taking the time to share this :Thmbsup:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I agree, super useful info. I've been considering a service like this for a client of mine recently, but DropBox wasn't quite doing it (lack of arbitrary folder support), and neither was Mozy (doesn't sync to multiple computers, and other missing features). SugarSync looks really promising.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46 AM »
i've been using DropBox for a while (with some of the poweruser tips you'll find online) and considered using SugarSync to fill in some of the gaps. i decided not to after reading quite a few people complaining about SugarSync corrupting data. i suppose this must be rare but it was enough to make me decide against even giving it a test run.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:53 AM by nudone »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36 AM »
i've been using DropBox for a while (with some of the poweruser tips you'll find online) and considered using SugarSync to fill in some of the gaps. i decided not to after reading quite a few people complaining about SugarSync corrupting data. i suppose this must be rare but it was enough to make me decide against even giving it a test run.

Where did you find these complaints?  I'm almost ready to sign up for SugarSync, and I'd like to see these... it might change my decision.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21 AM »
i've had a quick look but can't remember where i read the original complaints - these links are just what i found whilst googling about. they are mac related, though i do remember someone (elsewhere) complaining about quicken and/or outlook files.

http://www.versiontr...info/macosx/10826163

http://www.macupdate...75/sugarsync-manager

i suppose the truth, if i'm honest, is that i'm pretty happy with DropBox otherwise i'd have ignored the complaints about SugarSync - after all, any data corruption must be an extremely minor problem with very few users involved. i think my poor memory has just exaggerated what i thought the problem was, i.e. more complaints.

or, maybe i just thought what's the point of using a service even if there's a remote possibility of things becoming corrupt - who knows how important that little bit of data may be when it's damaged. as i said, if i wasn't using DropBox (or it didn't exist) then i'd probably just go for SugarSync without a second thought.

edit:
reading through one of those links above i see that it mentions DropBox can corrupt data anyway. which means my previous comment about data corruption may as well be ignored - sounds like SugarSync is as good as DropBox.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:29 AM by nudone »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I just did a bit more research, and from what it appears, the perfect cloud solution just isn't there.  This is the reason that I suppose a good backup solution is needed also.  It seems that the editing of files that are backed up is the problem; if the backup occurs while the file is locked, then you have the potential for a problem.  It also seems to be more problematic on Macs... from their 'package' file formats, to the different forks of files (sort of like ADS on windows), they seem to have more problems than windows or linux users.

Some more links:
http://helencrozier....hronization-service/
http://technologykil...s-bitter-aftertaste/
http://technologykil...arsync-vs-spideroak/

I think I'm going to go for a spin with SugarSync paid service so I can back up all of my computers... I'll let you know how things shake out.  So far, using DropBox under those same conditions, I haven't had a problem.

rossxwest

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I find Dropbox to be superior due to the fact that it support linux. On another note, if you are looking at trying out dropbox, you can use my referral link that gets us both 250MB more space: https://www.dropbox....ferrals/NTYyNzI0NDU5

Debbie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:40 AM »
wraith808 - great comparative review.  I manage support at SugarSync and you're absolutely correct regarding locked files causing problems.  To be successful backing up data files, it's important to follow the software vendor's instructions to create a data backup file and let SugarSync back up the backup file. These products typically have the ability to adjust the frequency of backups. We talk about it here.

The reason for my post was to thank you for helping us improve our knowledgebase.  While we do have an article on how to move the Magic Briefcase , we only had a KB article with links to an FAQ about the limitations of our free 2GB plan.  I agree with you that it's important information, so we've created a dedicated article on the topic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:53 AM by Debbie »

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:41 AM »
I just did a bit more research, and from what it appears, the perfect cloud solution just isn't there.
Have you looked at JungleDisk or any of the other Amazon S3 solutions?  I'd be curious to know where you find them failing.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10 PM »
wraith808 - great comparative review.  I manage support at SugarSync and you're absolutely correct regarding locked files causing problems.  To be successful backing up data files, it's important to follow the software vendor's instructions to create a data backup file and let SugarSync back up the backup file. These products typically have the ability to adjust the frequency of backups. We talk about it here.

The reason for my post was to thank you for helping us improve our knowledgebase.  While we do have an article on how to move the Magic Briefcase , we only had a KB article with links to an FAQ about the limitations of our free 2GB plan.  I agree with you that it's important information, so we've created a dedicated article on the topic.

Debbie,

Thanks for dropping by!  I actually found that KB on the Magic Briefcase- it was how I figured out how to move it.  But I thought that there would be some indication either in the extensive tutorials that you provide (which are very nice, BTW) or in the regular documentation on how to move it.  I found the KB easy enough... but to include it in the regular documentation would be nice.

Thank you also for the thoughts on backing up data files.  I didn't think about doing it in that manner- it would indeed be a great accessory to a good backup scheme in that way.  I've only used DropBox for documents, which I've found no problems with.  I also don't have the situation where I edit in more than one location at once, though.

I just did a bit more research, and from what it appears, the perfect cloud solution just isn't there.
Have you looked at JungleDisk or any of the other Amazon S3 solutions?  I'd be curious to know where you find them failing.

I actually bought a license to JungleDisk back when we had a discount on DC.  I never used it though, similarly to how I've never used a lot of the solutions I have bought licenses for (AJC Active Backup, Stardock Keep Safe, Backup4All, Acronis TrueImage).  It's a matter of getting started. 

JungleDisk also puts me off with its pricing.  When something has you paying per GB of storage, per GB transferred, per download request, per upload request... it seems like too much.  And though it may be reasonable, not knowing how many upload/download requests and such ahead of time that I'm likely to use is frankly scary.  I have no idea how much my first month will cost.

DropBox and SugarSync attracted me because of the fact that they're fire and forget.  I install the software, and if I copy something there- fine.  If not, that works too.  It took a lot of time before I actually started using DropBox... then as I did, I found myself using it more and more. SugarSync seems like it would keep that trending upward with the addtional features- so that if I want to do more I can.

SpiderOak looks like something I might look at also.

3of0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I just created an account at Wuala, and it's got me excited.  (Ok, I get excited easily sometimes.)

- 1GB free storage
- Get more by either paying for it or sharing your hard drive.  Sharing your hard drive gets you Shared amount * %uptime.  So, sharing 10GB of space with 25% uptime gets you another 2.5GB totaling 3.5GB.  Also grants Pro status.
- Can also get more by purchasing additional space.  Also grants Pro status.
- Allows you to share with other users of Wuala.  Also allows you to share via a weblink so the program is not required.
- Runs in JRE so it's cross platform.  (I don't see anything for mobile yet.)
- You can set limits on upload and download.

Pro allows you to automatically backup files/folders & supports versioning (I haven't tried either of these yet).  (Interesting that I', not finding that information on the website, but only in the program.)

It's not as quick as dropbox, but for me sharing my roommates pictures she took with the bride and groom, it's a perfect solution for me and them.

There are also some community features, but I don't think I'll be using them as much.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Wuala looks like an interesting model considering I have 1+TB of unused space and a 22/5mbit down/up broadband connection. :D

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Welcome to the site Debbie and thanks for posting -- i think it speaks well of the company  :up:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55 PM »
- Get more by either paying for it or sharing your hard drive.  Sharing your hard drive gets you Shared amount * %uptime.  So, sharing 10GB of space with 25% uptime gets you another 2.5GB totaling 3.5GB.  Also grants Pro status.

Hmmm... I don't care what kind of connection I have to the internet, or how much space I have, this makes me a bit leery of using it.  Who knows what might be shared using your hardware, and what kind of liability that puts you in danger of.  I might be a bit paranoid where that's concerned because of personal experience, but it screams DANGER to me.

Also, because you're using the HD space of unknown people which is in unknown conditions, unless they are stored more than once in your grid, if someone else's HD goes down, your files are FUBAR, aren't they?  And since LaCIE doesn't have control over the hardware that they're storing on, that's also a risk isn't it?  I might be overly cautious here... but I'm not feeling the love.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:58 PM by wraith808 »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Yeah, I worried about the liability issue too. It's probably all encrypted, but I don't know how that would impact on legal issues as far as responsibility for the contents of your HD, e.g. what if someone is storing child porn in theirs and it happens to reside (encrypted) on your drive. :P

The fact that it's by LaCIE is actually kind of comforting though; they have a lot of experience with storage tech, redundancy, etc. I'd be surprised of redundancy wasn't built-in to the solution. Definitely something to confirm with them though.

- Oshyan

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 06:31 AM »
Thought I would mention Humyo here as well. Functionality seems very similar to SugarSyncs and the pricing is $70/year for 100GB. I have been using it for a few months now and am pretty happy with them. They even have Zoho integration so you can edit documents in a browser as well. They would certainly be worth a look if anyone is shopping around.

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38 AM »
e.g. what if someone is storing child porn in theirs and it happens to reside (encrypted) on your drive. :P

Certainly as I understand the law in the UK that would make you liable for prosecution and inclusion on the sex offenders register if proven. I believe that even if handed a sealed envelope with illegal porn in it you can be prosecuted even though you have never seen the contents. Additionally they were discussing a law (not sure if it was passed) that would make it a criminal offence to refuse to hand over the key for any encrypted file in your possession - in this case you can't because you don't have it!!

I am afraid I would be very wary of "hosting" other peoples encrypted data.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Thought I would mention Humyo here as well. Functionality seems very similar to SugarSyncs and the pricing is $70/year for 100GB.

10GB free is good too. Interesting that a second 100GB is more expensive than the first; I assume that is because they know there is more actual usage.

What makes me most wary of this market is the sheer number of alternatives. Hard to see that they will all survive long-term, so I'd hate to get dependent on something that might go. Even the apparently successful ones may not be very profitable, so it is hard to predict which ones will keep going.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28 AM »
What makes me most wary of this market is the sheer number of alternatives. Hard to see that they will all survive long-term, so I'd hate to get dependent on something that might go. Even the apparently successful ones may not be very profitable, so it is hard to predict which ones will keep going.

Well, the thing that I'm optimistic about is the fact that your data is still on your machine(s).  If dropbox went out of business today, it would be an inconvenience, not a major deal.  That's the reason that though I will use synchronizers, I won't use an online backup solution.  That's also the reason that I'm wary of dropping a lot of money on something for a yearly subscription.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I've been using DropBox for a few months for two primary use cases:
  • Keeping a constantly-updated copy of my Roboform data everywhere I use it
  • A briefcase to transport important files between home and work
DropBox isn't sophisticated, but it handles these two tasks perfectly. Indeed, I suppose that the fact that it's so unsophisticated -- install it and it "just works" is part of the attraction. Another plus is that I'm always surprised at just how quick it is to transfer the data. I guess that's what having storage in the cloud does (I think Amazon S3 is what they use for storage).

This was a great review/comparison. A couple of things I'd like to clarify:
  • SugarSync may only support 2 desktops, but DropBox explicitly supports as many as you'd like.
  • DropBox does versioning. If make a change to one of those work files in the "briefcase", I can fall back to yesterday's version, for example. I don't know if SugarSync offers this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 12:23 PM »
This was a great review/comparison. A couple of things I'd like to clarify:
  • SugarSync may only support 2 desktops, but DropBox explicitly supports as many as you'd like.
  • DropBox does versioning. If make a change to one of those work files in the "briefcase", I can fall back to yesterday's version, for example. I don't know if SugarSync offers this.

Yes, SugarSync does support versioning.  And SugarSync Free only supports 2 desktops.  All paid versions support as many as you'd like.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Keeping a constantly-updated copy of my Roboform data everywhere I use it
(you may already know but) There's an online version of RoboForm that will keep your RoboForm data in sync for you - by using GoodSync.

the advantage of using their online sync methond is that you can also use the "bookmarklet" from any browser - or just log into your online RoboForm account and access everything there (or just use your RoboFom client in the usual way - including the portable version).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:12 PM by nudone »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 01:44 PM »
One thing I just found out that I wasn't aware of: SugarSync allows a 30 day trial before they charge you for anything.  DropBox doesn't give you this trial period.  On the other hand, DropBox allows you to pay via Paypal, though with the Secure Plug-in on Paypal, this isn't as much of an advantage as it used to be.

I also noticed something else as I'm looking harder at the TOS of the services because of my intent to upgrade.  Dropbox includes some troubling language in their TOS:

Dropbox reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if a Free Account is inactive for ninety (90) days, then Dropbox may delete any or all of Your Files without providing additional notice.

More language:
By placing Your Files in your public folder, you hereby grant all other Dropbox users and the public a non-exclusive, non-commercial, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, perpetual and irrevocable right and license to use and exploit Your Files in your public folder. In other words, a file in your public folder can be used by anyone, for any purpose except  commercial use.

And:
You represent and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to grant the licenses that both your public and shared folders require, as described above. Please note that moving all or portions of Your Files from your public folders does not revoke the license granted to those individuals who previously accessed those files.

You should be aware that Files may be protected by intellectual property rights which are owned by the Dropbox user whose folder (public or shared) that File resides in. You may not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on the content(s) (either in whole or in part) of another user's shared folder unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by the rightful owner of that File, in a separate agreement.

You acknowledge and agree that you should not rely on the Site, Content, Files and Services for any reason. You further acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for maintaining and protecting all data and information that is stored, retrieved or otherwise processed by the Site, Content, Files or Services. Without limiting the foregoing, you will be responsible for all costs and expenses that you or others may incur with respect to backing up, and restoring and/or recreating any data and information that is lost or corrupted as a result of your use of the Site, Content, Files and/or Services.

Backing up your music or videos (or as in my case - books)?  Might be interested in this bit:
You will only upload, post, submit or otherwise transmit data and/or files: (i) that you have the lawful right to use, copy, distribute, transmit, or display; or (ii) that does not infringe the intellectual property rights or violate the privacy rights of any third party (including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other intellectual property right, or moral right or right of publicity). Dropbox has adopted and implemented a policy that permits the deletion of files that violate this policy, and that permits the termination in appropriate circumstances of the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be or are charged with repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders. Please see the Dropbox Copyright Policy for further information at http://www.dropbox.com/dmca.

Turning to SugarSync, I see that they have some of the same limitations on Free accounts
Free Accounts don't have all the features of Paid Accounts and are subject to limitations described in these Terms and as implemented by SugarSync from time to time. For example, you may have only one Free Account at a time and if you don't use the account for a period of 90 days or more (for example, no synching or back up of files for 90 days), your Free Account may be automatically terminated.

Their other limitations that would be of a similar vein to DropBox are less alarming, but still quite open to interpretation:
Your account and any specific URL associated with your account are for your individual use only. You may not resell accounts or any account features. You agree that you will not use the Service to disseminate any advertising, promotional materials, or spam. You acknowledge and agree that SugarSync reserves the right to establish limits on the number and size of messages transmitted through the Service and/or the size and number of Files that can be made available through a public link. You agree that you will not use the Software or Service to create, copy, store, transmit, share or distribute any Files, images, sounds, messages or other material which are obscene (as determined in SugarSync's sole discretion), harassing, racist, malicious, fraudulent or libelous, contain nudity, violate or infringe the rights of third parties, or expose SugarSync to any actual or potential civil or criminal liability. SugarSync reserves the right in its sole discretion to take any action that it deems necessary if you violate these Terms, including suspension or termination of your account.

And:
SugarSync respects the intellectual property of others, and we expect our users to do the same. SugarSync may suspend and/or terminate the accounts of users who infringe the rights of others. If you believe that your copyrights or other intellectual property rights have been infringed by postings of others through the Service, you should provide SugarSync's copyright agent with the following information:

* an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other intellectual property interest;
    * a description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
    * a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site;
    * your address, telephone number, and email address;
    * a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
    * a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your Notice is accurate and that you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner's behalf.

Thoughts?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I don't know if I should post this as a separate thread, but I figured that for now I'd start it here.  I decided to try sugarsync, and I'll be posting my experiences- good and bad.

After my sign up, a couple of bad experiences already, though nothing major.

1. SugarSync seems to keep track of your folders, which is what I alluded to when talking about how to copy magic briefcase above.  This is really cool, though it seems to have a couple of rough edges.  I'd synced a folder from somewhere, and wanted to move/rename the folder (I wanted to move it back into the dropbox folder- just in case).  I removed it from sugarsync, but once I'd c&p it to where I wanted, it reappeared in SugarSync.  Bad sign there.  As sugarsync continutally talked about 'merging' folders when I synced to an existing folder, I was leery of this.  But after trying to get the new folder to sync in a different location several times (by deleting the local folder and re syncing to the new location, moving the location, and other means) and seeing that it didn't work, I finally gave in and just copied the old folder to the new location, and letting the files merge.  It merged ok, but I'm still taken aback that I couldn't disassociate SugarSync from the original folder so  I could keep an extra backup.

2. The iPhone app for SugarSync limits the size of the files you can view.  This is potentially a deal breaker since one of my purposes of investing in this or DropBox was to view documents on the road.  DropBox had no problem displaying the same app.  I don't see why SugarSync would limit their iPhone app in the size of the document that you can view.  (For the record, it was an rpg book- it was 40.3 MB, and they are regularly that size).  I'm definitely reporting that on their forums- if they insist on this limit, then as much as I like SugarSync's features, if it can't handle my workflow, then I can't use it, so this will be cut a bit short...