ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HyperSnap now installs toolbar, without asking?

<< < (2/4) > >>

J-Mac:
I too recently upgraded my copy of HyperSnap to version 6.80.01, and I was DEFINITELY asked whether I wanted to have the toolbar installed.  There were also links to the additional EULA and privacy policy that would be in effect for the toolbar.  I almost NEVER want an extra toolbar, and I get upset if the software makes a toolbar necessary.  Fortunately, in this case, it seemed clear that the toolbar was by no means necessary, and I chose not to install it.  I am 100% sure that I was told about the possibility of the toolbar and given the option not to include it.

-cyberdiva (April 20, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious - was yours a portable version? Or a Windows-installed version? I have to agree with rjbull that given an option or not, such an add-on should never be part of a portable app as it would leave behind remnants of its installation on public or friends' computers.

Thank you.

Jim

Curt:
-they are both one and the same file

cyberdiva:
I'm curious - was yours a portable version? Or a Windows-installed version?
-J-Mac (April 20, 2010, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Jim, I think Curt has answered your question.  I installed mine on my desktop, and to be honest I probably couldn't have answered your question without Curt's response, since I paid no attention to the possibility of installing HyperSnap on a flash drive or other portable media.   But I agree with Curt, and his screenshots are also what I saw--including the set-up page devoted to the toolbar.  It's hard to miss.

rjbull:
But Curt's screenshots are set for installation to a hard disk.  I checked the Portable box, and I don't remember seeing the second of the two screenshots.  Even then, the target installation directory was set at c:\Program Files and I had to navigate to the USB drive.

I'm not going through that again, but what I think is, installation-as-portable correctly doesn't offer to install the toolbar because it knows that you don't want that on a portable installation.  Then it goes ahead and does it anyway.  But, author Greg Kochaniak has said he'll look into it.

wraith808:
I think in the installer it's quite likely that the two options for install use diverging paths... and it's quite possible that he forgot to duplicate the screen in both paths.  It's easy enough to do unintentionally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version