ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HyperSnap now installs toolbar, without asking?

(1/4) > >>

rjbull:
Copy of an e-mail I just sent to Hyperionics:

I have a single-user license for HyperSnap, so I installed it on my USB stick.  I just upgraded to the most recent version 6.80.01, installing on top of the last one on my USB stick.

1) Installation process thinks you want to install to hard disk, even though the box for portable USB is checked. That is, the Browse for the target  installation directory seems to point to the c:\Program Files etc. and one has to take extra steps to navigate to the USB stick.

2) Installation put a Hyperionics toolbar in IE. I didn't see it ask for this - granted, I may have missed it - but I certainly didn't see it, I absolutely do not want it (I check on new versions using WebSite-Watcher) and it's taken me time and effort to remove it. I'm still not sure I have it completely removed.

Please, don't do this.  I got so angry I've deleted HyperSnap altogether.
--- End quote ---

I should add, it installed the toolbar for both Firefox and IE.  The Firefox add-on was easy enough to uninstall, though I then had to re-start Firefox to complete it.  The IE toolbar was much harder to get rid of, as mentioned above.  The toolbar seems mostly about checking the latest versions of Hyperionics products.  I'm not prepared to waste screen space on that and resent having to waste time on removing it.  This misbehaviour seems new, I don't remember it from earlier versions.

It also means that the "portable" installation isn't truly portable, because it interferes with whatever host machine you install from, setting Registry keys.  I should haved used Total Uninstall; I didn't expect to have to do that with "portable" software.

And instant (as in, sent e-mail, posted here, went to bathroom, checked here, checked e-mail) response from author Greg Kochaniak;

Hello Robert,
Sorry about this trouble. I tried to not offer and not install the toolbar
when the portable setup is selected, but maybe I made an error in my
programming. The setup asks if you want it for a regular installation. I'll
look into it and fix it if necessary.
The toolbar is removed completely after you uninstall it from Windows
Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs (on Windows XP) or "Programs and
Features" on Vista and Windows 7.

Greg
--- End quote ---

Can't reply fairer than that (and note that I did say I might have missed the option).

sajman99:
Yeah, these sneaky toolbar antics are getting out of control. :mad:

If we don't want or need some toolbar or other add-on, we shouldn't have to take time to uninstall the junk.

Having paid for this software, you have every right to complain. Seems to me you have been disrespected by Hyperionics.  

edit: Ah, perhaps an honest mistake was made and they will fix the issue promptly. If so--good for them!

rjbull:
sajman99, looks like you were posting while I was modifying my OP, because the author replied so fast; looks like an error on his part.  But - as is obvious - I thoroughly agree about fighting nuisance toolbars.

rjbull:
Playing message leapfrog    :)

cyberdiva:
I too recently upgraded my copy of HyperSnap to version 6.80.01, and I was DEFINITELY asked whether I wanted to have the toolbar installed.  There were also links to the additional EULA and privacy policy that would be in effect for the toolbar.  I almost NEVER want an extra toolbar, and I get upset if the software makes a toolbar necessary.  Fortunately, in this case, it seemed clear that the toolbar was by no means necessary, and I chose not to install it.  I am 100% sure that I was told about the possibility of the toolbar and given the option not to include it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version