topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Brightness control / OCX for notebook backlight  (Read 3083 times)

AmericanoInPhils

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brightness control / OCX for notebook backlight
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:37 AM »
This is a problem with the monitor florescent tube (backlight) that is mounted on the notebook NOT with an external display via serial port or RS 232 technology.

I changed my OS from Windows XP MCE to XP Pro and my brightness controls no longer work. I am looking for a way to address the backlight with an OCX or API call using Visual Basic.

Here is my answer in C
http://msdn.microsof...2656%28VS.85%29.aspx

I dont write C but if I could get that in an OCX I am sure I would be in business.
I could instruct the OCX from Visual Basic.

To be honest this is a HUGE problem. I am learning that ALL notebook manufacturers do it this way. They release a model with the OS installed and a driver to take care of the florescent monitor tube / baklight. If you change the OS at any time you very possibly will not find a driver for that model with that OS. I have seen and read thousands of articles so far of people asking desperately for a fix. If I can get an OCX method I intend to make a simple way to address the backlight (florescent tube behind monitor) directly and behave exactly the same as the simple driver is supposed to and I will offer it for free to anyone who wants it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Brightness control / OCX for notebook backlight
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:11 AM »
it's a good point, i've run into similar problems when upgrading a laptop OS.

for a starting point -- can you confirm that that msdn code works for you, or is it just a guess that it will?

lastly, would a simple small commandline utility to set and get backlight setting be sufficient, or do you need an ocx.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:13 AM by mouser »