ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Brightness control / OCX for notebook backlight

(1/1)

AmericanoInPhils:
This is a problem with the monitor florescent tube (backlight) that is mounted on the notebook NOT with an external display via serial port or RS 232 technology.

I changed my OS from Windows XP MCE to XP Pro and my brightness controls no longer work. I am looking for a way to address the backlight with an OCX or API call using Visual Basic.

Here is my answer in C
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372656%28VS.85%29.aspx

I dont write C but if I could get that in an OCX I am sure I would be in business.
I could instruct the OCX from Visual Basic.

To be honest this is a HUGE problem. I am learning that ALL notebook manufacturers do it this way. They release a model with the OS installed and a driver to take care of the florescent monitor tube / baklight. If you change the OS at any time you very possibly will not find a driver for that model with that OS. I have seen and read thousands of articles so far of people asking desperately for a fix. If I can get an OCX method I intend to make a simple way to address the backlight (florescent tube behind monitor) directly and behave exactly the same as the simple driver is supposed to and I will offer it for free to anyone who wants it.

mouser:
it's a good point, i've run into similar problems when upgrading a laptop OS.

for a starting point -- can you confirm that that msdn code works for you, or is it just a guess that it will?

lastly, would a simple small commandline utility to set and get backlight setting be sufficient, or do you need an ocx.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version