ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Archive Tool

Versions??

(1/7) > >>

MohKraats:
Nice test,

However, what were the versions of the apps, used in this test??
And how long ago was the latest update? (is the app still maintained?)
Without that info, the test doesn't tell me to much.

mouser:
These points are well taken.. keeping the reviews updated and making version information clearer is one of those things we didn't grasp the importance of when we started doing these big reviews.  It might seem obvious in retrospect but at the time we started doing them we didn't anticipate what would happen after a few years passed and features change, etc.

It's been a long time in the planning but our goal is still to have a completely re-vamped review system eventually, which directly addresses the issues of keeping reviews current, etc.  so stay tuned for that.

Until then, the best option is to check out the date of the review in the upper left of the page, and use that as a guide to how out of date some of the discussion may be.

MohKraats:
Well, if the Archiver review dates back to 2005,

It might be an idea to re-do the test, and see what the situation is by now.
For example, I have been using Izarc for a while now, and this program has come a long way in the last years. (as many others will have too.)

MohKraats:
Must still be said that the review does offer a good example of usefull detail level for a review.
It will be a tough job matching that.

IainB:
@MohKraats: The review was of what is now probably a decidedly out-of-date version of WinRAR, but it would probably be more relevant if the date and version were referenced in the write-up.
Though competitive products are always leap-frogging each other, a current review might still place WinRAR in or near pole position. It has always been pretty good.

One of the first things I would usually do on getting  a new Windows-based PC is uninstall WinZIP (where installed) and use the "native" ZIP functionality that was built into the OS. Then, for non-zip, I would install WinRAR, because it handles such a wide range of compression formats, and because I prefer RAR for my archives (better compression).

However, I don't think I had never heard of IZARC until I read your post.
Since the version of WinRAR I have been using since 2003 is v2.30 (!) I shall try IZARC out - and it's a good price too (FREE) - so thanks for the reference.

Update: Just downloaded IZARC now. There's quite a good write-up on it (Editor's Review) at Softpedia, and a short one (Editor's Pick) at Brothersoft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version