ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Unreported bug in Process Tamer (v2.11.01)?

(1/3) > >>

Dr. Bob:
I have noticed that PT sometimes ignores my "Ignore" settings and lowers priority anyway. I also tried "Force Normal" but with the same result. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Bug Tracker thread so I thought I'd just mention it.

I have seen this on two different WinXP Pro SP-2 machines.

mouser:
is it always the same process that the program is lowering the priority of?
i'm trying to think if there is some reason it might not be matching against the application name and thus ignoring the ignore rule, so to speak.

Dr. Bob:
I am certain of one process called SEMON21.EXE which is part of Siemens' "Talk & Surf" software that remotely configures and logs my Gigaset ISDN Dect PBX. Look here and select product Gigaset 4175isdn.

I think I have seen it also with TOTALCMD.EXE from "Total Commander". See www.ghisler.com .

Probably a few more but I'm not certain which. I'll keep an eye on it and report more when they occur now that I have opened this thread.

IainB:
Not sure if this might help, but I thought I should mention it - because I had a similar "problem" with Process Tamer not longer after I started using it, some time ago.
It seemed to be not obeying the rules that I had set up. Then I discovered that PT seems to be sort of "case-sensitive" (or at least ASCII-value sensitive).
One of my pet hates is Acrobat's AcroTray. I had a rule in PT to kill it, but after Adobe Acrobat Reader was updated, AcroTray started up and PT seemed to ignore it. Then I realised that the currently-running version of AcroTray (as shown in Process Explorer) was in a different case to the rule I had previously set up.
The only way I could make sure it got killed was by defining the rule 3 times, thus: (I guess this this covered the common permutations of case in the name)
   A. AcroTray.exe
   B. Acrotray.exe
   C. acrotray.exe
The clue I had to case being somehow involved in this was in the PT alphabetic sort on process name in the PT Configuration GUI. For example, if you look at the screenshot attached, you will see how instance B is below A, and C is half-way down the list below that.

mouser:
That's a very good tip Ian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version