ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation

<< < (7/8) > >>

Gwen7:
Why does the world have to jump through hoops just to accommodate Twitter's silly 140 character limit? Maybe it was très hip when it first came out. It's kind of old now..

or is that just me? :)

Eóin:
It exactly because of the 160 character SMS limit. Originally tweets were sent to and from phones through the SMS networks.

I actually think this is still possible?

I presume the extra 20 chars was reserved for potential ads, they are a commercial entity after all.

Deozaan:
If Twitter was smart they'd implement their own URL shortening service that did two things:

1. If viewed in the browser, it would abbreviate the URL (or not, depending on each user's settings) much like DonationCoder's forums do automatically with long URLs.

2. If sent via text message/SMS to an actual phone, it would send the shortened URL (if the full URL is longer than the shortened one, of course).

urlwolf:
If Twitter was smart they'd implement their own URL shortening service that did two things:

1. If viewed in the browser, it would abbreviate the URL (or not, depending on each user's settings) much like DonationCoder's forums do automatically with long URLs.

2. If sent via text message/SMS to an actual phone, it would send the shortened URL (if the full URL is longer than the shortened one, of course).
-Deozaan (April 20, 2010, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are going to implement their own :)

Willtech Online:
Why can't bit.ly have a list of shortening services and simply stop bit.ly from reshortening them?

Failing that why not warn someone during the process that they cannot posted shortened links and refuse to accept them - at least then the correct link will be posted?
-Carol Haynes (April 19, 2010, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Either of those would work and both are better than name calling.

Cheers :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version