topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation  (Read 28495 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Let's not be silly, of course you can come up with an example greater than the 160 limit, that's hardly the point.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Let's not be silly, of course you can come up with an example greater than the 160 limit, that's hardly the point.

I disagree, and I was not trying to be silly.  That is the point, and that wasn't really an isolated example.  Without URL shortening, it's difficult to come up with a tweet that makes sense.  That was a minimalistic approach to making a tweet IMO, which can many times be an art form akin to making a haiku.  And I've had this problem several times when trying to utilize full URLs in tweets.  Those that don't use twitter won't understand, but I'm sure that if you do, you've had the same problem.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Well I'm not really looking to say URL shortening has no use, just that in cases where they aren't needed then they shouldn't be used due to the negative aspects that come along for the ride.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39 PM »
It's not a 160 limit...it's 140.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 05:46 AM »
Oops yes, I was thinking of SMS text messages.

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Why does the world have to jump through hoops just to accommodate Twitter's silly 140 character limit? Maybe it was très hip when it first came out. It's kind of old now..

or is that just me? :)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45 PM »
It exactly because of the 160 character SMS limit. Originally tweets were sent to and from phones through the SMS networks.

I actually think this is still possible?

I presume the extra 20 chars was reserved for potential ads, they are a commercial entity after all.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 12:58 PM »
If Twitter was smart they'd implement their own URL shortening service that did two things:

1. If viewed in the browser, it would abbreviate the URL (or not, depending on each user's settings) much like DonationCoder's forums do automatically with long URLs.

2. If sent via text message/SMS to an actual phone, it would send the shortened URL (if the full URL is longer than the shortened one, of course).

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 02:49 PM »
If Twitter was smart they'd implement their own URL shortening service that did two things:

1. If viewed in the browser, it would abbreviate the URL (or not, depending on each user's settings) much like DonationCoder's forums do automatically with long URLs.

2. If sent via text message/SMS to an actual phone, it would send the shortened URL (if the full URL is longer than the shortened one, of course).

They are going to implement their own :)

Willtech Online

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Why can't bit.ly have a list of shortening services and simply stop bit.ly from reshortening them?

Failing that why not warn someone during the process that they cannot posted shortened links and refuse to accept them - at least then the correct link will be posted?
-Carol Haynes (April 19, 2010, 05:39 AM)
Either of those would work and both are better than name calling.

Cheers :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Rather than fix the problem in a way that makes sense, bit.ly has gone ahead and changed the wording of their page.

The top banner now says "Stop - there might be a problem with the requested link" rather than "WARNING - visiting this website may harm your computer"

It now identifies reshortened links as such, but goes on to state

* Some URL-shorteners re-use their links, so bit.ly can't guarantee the validity of this link.
    * Some URL-shorteners allow their links to be edited, so bit.ly can't tell where this link will lead you.
    * Spam and malware is very often propagated by exploiting these loopholes, neither of which bit.ly allows for.

The link you requested may contain inappropriate content, or even spam or malicious code that could be downloaded to your computer without your consent, or may be a forgery or imitation of another website, designed to trick users into sharing personal or financial information.

Better than it was, but still not acceptable, as far as I am concerned. If they can detect that a URL comes from a shortener at the time someone clicks, they can do it at the time it is shortened and just not allow it.

old:

bitly-warning.pngBit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation

new:

bitly-warning2.pngBit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation