ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bit.ly is Harmful to Your Reputation

<< < (6/8) > >>

Eóin:
Let's not be silly, of course you can come up with an example greater than the 160 limit, that's hardly the point.

wraith808:
Let's not be silly, of course you can come up with an example greater than the 160 limit, that's hardly the point.
-Eóin (April 19, 2010, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree, and I was not trying to be silly.  That is the point, and that wasn't really an isolated example.  Without URL shortening, it's difficult to come up with a tweet that makes sense.  That was a minimalistic approach to making a tweet IMO, which can many times be an art form akin to making a haiku.  And I've had this problem several times when trying to utilize full URLs in tweets.  Those that don't use twitter won't understand, but I'm sure that if you do, you've had the same problem.

Eóin:
Well I'm not really looking to say URL shortening has no use, just that in cases where they aren't needed then they shouldn't be used due to the negative aspects that come along for the ride.

app103:
It's not a 160 limit...it's 140.

Eóin:
Oops yes, I was thinking of SMS text messages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version