ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

The Bat! (Some constructive criticism)

<< < (4/4)

mouser:
hahhahahahaha love it.

allen:
I'm a pack rat -- losing my e-mail archive was far more traumatic than the loss of the computer itself, or the DVD's, or anything else for that matter . . . it was a growing experience, I had to learn to let go :-)

-- it took most of the night to download all my gmail messages into The Bat!.  As it would turn out, I had almost 50,000 -- I have a nice, full mailbase on TB now :)

superboyac:
Nice...it's good to be back, right?  You just reminded me, I should get back to a good backing up regiment soon, before something happens.

I remember how big a decision it was for me a couple of weeks ago to go from Pegasus to the Bat.  You have no idea, for years, I would defend Pegasus with my life.  But the Bat just did too much and had too many features.  I think Pegasus actually got me into this "poweruser" mode back in 1997.  I had moved into an apartment at school, and whoever lived there before got this thick magazine about computers, and inside it, there was a little shootout for email clients.  At the time, Eudora was the standard (my, what's happened to them?!) and I was surprised that they picked Pegasus as their top choice as far as customizability and power.  So, I gave it a shot, and have loved it ever since.  But it's a one-man show by the author (David Harris) and I don't think he's able to implement new features as quickly as the shareware email clients like the Bat.  But he's done an amazing job, and his philosophy is probably in sync with guys like mouser, where he really wants to provide quality software for free.

Boy, that brings backa lot of memories...

superboyac:
Here's what you do to simply toggle signatures -- go to options > quick templates
Now, click new.  First type %ISSIGNATURE in there and hit enter. Under that, put your signature as you want it.  You can create as many signatures as you'd like in this way.

What the %ISSIGNATURE macro does is tell it that this isn't a message template but, rather, just a signature.  When selected, it will do one of two things -- if you already have a proper sig delimiter in your message (-- ), it will replace everything under it with the quicktemplate you just applied.  If you do not have a sig delimiter then it will append one and your sig text to the bottom of your e-mail message.

So, for example, you could automatically include your main quicktemplate signature at the bottom of your e-mail by putting %QINCLUDE="MySig" at the bottom of your message template.  You could then switch signatures as easily as utilities -> insert quick template (or ctrl+space).
-allen (February 01, 2006, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I made a quick template for the signature, and it works well.  I'm having a problem using the signature quick template inside my message template.  When I put the line %QINCLUDE="MySig" at the bottom of the message template, it inserts the text of my signature, but without the "-- ".  Am I supposed to put in the template:

--
%QINCLUDE="MySig"

or just:

%QINCLUDE="MySig"

I'm not sure, I thought by defining the quick template as a signature, it would be inserted in the message as a signature, but maybe I'm wrong.

allen:
Yeah, I'm a bit rusty ;) but you should include the -- yourself if you're using quick templates to switch the signature -- that's what tells it where to delete the text before inserting the new one.

I have the sig delimiter in my main template, beneath that the qinclude -- so swapping among quicktempaltes -should- replace everything beneath the delimiter with the quick template text.

I think.

:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version