ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

The Bat! (Some constructive criticism)

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
I have yet more to say...

I find this MicroEd text editor thing in the Bat fascinating!  I like how you can switch between the stream/column/line mode for highlighting and the fact that you can start typing anywhere is cool.  But what is the history behind this editor?  How does it make writing more efficient?  It's cool to play with and all, but I wanted to hear how this feature is used by the veterans.

mouser:
i can't answer the microed question, but i thought it might be useful in this thread to point out that Jibz has written an extremely cool little plugin for thebat called PIPER, that lets you shell out and execute any commandline program and capture its output to feed back into a message:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Jibz/Piper/index.html

(as usual if you use it please send jibz a little donation to support his work)

allen:
I don't necessarily know all the advantages to the microed as far as efficiency and such things are concerned but when I started using TB it was -the- editor and I've used it since.  It's quick and responsive, that's always nice -- and I love how it reflows text -- I've always had it set with "persistent" selections, automatically reflowing with full justify.

The truth is, though I'm rather comfortable with these settings, they're not of the importance they once were.  When Microed was in its prime, it was common for mail clients to have trouble with long lines--sometimes reading, but at the very least with replies having ugly broken lines.  Microed rose to the occasion, elegantly wrapping incoming and outgoing mail and was/is fully capable of seamlessly reflowing quoted/forwarded text.  Things are handled more elgantly by other mail editors now than they once were, making MicroEd less important, I suppose--but I still have yet to find an editor that handles plain text mail more elegantly.

I've often wished they'd release Microed as a standalone text editor/notepad.  No luck there, but The Bat! does now have "Smart Bat" -- a built in notepad/calendar -- jot down notes with it and it can be used to have e-mail messages automatically sent out at certain times/dates.  Once upon a time, scheduler saved me face when I'd forget birthdays, it'd still mail them.  They'd think I remembered ;)

allen:
For the record, I've set my gmail account to make all messages available for download and am in the process of downloading15000 + messages, dating back to 2002.  In '01, a roommate pawned my computer and ran, so I lost everything from '98 - '01, but I'd imported everything after that into gmail when I started using it -- so at least I'll have a few years searchable archive.  Have a few templates configured and am slowly moving back in.  I learned from this thread I haven't forgotten as much about using TB as I'd thought, which makes the move a bit less daunting ;)

superboyac:
That's great, allen.  I'm glad you also got something beneficial from this thread.  That sucks about losing the 3 years of email, I would have been so pissed.  I consider email like letters, part of your personal history.  Just a few days ago, I was showing my cousin the Bat, and we were reading some of our old emails from almost 10 years ago...one of them got us cracking up to tears because I was basically informing him of my discovery of "these things called mp3's" and how amazing they were.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version