topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CAPshift enhancement suggestion  (Read 8602 times)

sb06794

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CAPshift enhancement suggestion
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Dear Skrommel,
I've been using other "caps lock" management software because I hate accidentally hitting that key.  The first thing I tried was physically removing the key from the keyboard.  The next thing I tried was using "Accessibility Options" in "Control Panel" to make the key beep each time it was pressed.  Next I used "SharpKeys" to turn off the "caps lock" key entirely.  None of these were satisfactory to me.  Not until I found your CAPshift program did I find the REAL solution.  Thank you soooo much for writing it!

After using CAPshift for a few days, I have a suggestion that should be relatively easy to implement:  Currently, the time to hold a key to activate it defaults to .5 seconds and the time to hold a key to activate the menu defaults to 1 second.  My suggestion is to make those times adjustable by the user.  In other words, make these two times variables within the program that the user can input through the CAPshift.ini file.  The CAPshift.ini file could default to your current ".5 second" and "1 second" times, but the user would be able to change them.

The reason I'm making this suggestion is that I found I occasionally hold the key too long and get the menu when I did not intend to.  I would like to change the menu activation time from 1 second to 2 seconds.  Considering that others may have similar concerns, I thought this small program change would be worthwhile.

Thanks again,
Stu

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CAPshift enhancement suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Currently, the time to hold a key to activate it defaults to .5 seconds and the time to hold a key to activate the menu defaults to 1 second.  My suggestion is to make those times adjustable by the user.

Try this: CAPshiftMod

Changes:

• Added user configurable menu delay (check CAPshift.ini).
  • Added user configurable enable delay (check CAPshift.ini).

Values are in seconds, decimals are permitted.  You must restart CAPshift after saving your ini file changes.

sb06794

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:44 PM »
It didn't work.  Two concerns:

1. The ini file has two new lines:
delaymenu=1
delaymenu=2
Shouldn't there be two different variable names?

2. I was unable to make it work for turning caps lock on and off, except by waiting for the menu and using the menu.

Stu

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Would you mind clearing your cache, redownloading, deleting your ini file and retrying?  If that doesn't work, grab this (but still delete your ini file):

http://skwire.dcmemb...cks/CAPshiftMod_.zip

sb06794

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I'm not sure which cache you're referring to, but I redownloaded, deleted the ini file, and tried again.  Here's what I got:

1. The two new lines in the ini file are now:
delaymenu=1
delayenable=0.5
This now makes sense (except that I would switch the order of these two variables within the ini file to be more logical).

2. I'm still unable to make it work for turning caps lock on and off, except by waiting for the menu and using the menu.  I'm running this mod version from a separate test directory and I'm exiting the production version before running the mod version.  When I go back to the production version, it works, so I don't think any cache is involved with this issue.

Stu

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:43 PM »
I don't use this application so maybe I'm misunderstanding how CAPshift works.  I'm under the impression that, using the defaults, if you press and hold the CapsLock key, the app will bring up the menu after one second.  If you release the CapsLock key between one-half second and the full second, then the CapsLock key will turn on.  To quote a phrase, amirite?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:44 PM »
It's odd -- I thought I also had the same problem of the modified version not working, but it seems to be working for me now.

Here's what I tried after downloading, unzipping to the Desktop, and stopping my already running vanilla version of CAPshift (this was admittedly after some initial confusing testing):

Start CAPshiftMod.exe
    => I noticed a new .ini file being created

Hold CapsLock until I see a string which is 500 ms (or 400 ms or ...) and then let go
    => LED on keyboard comes on, no menu appeared

Hold CapsLock until I see a string which is 500 ms (or 400 ms or ...) and then let go
    => LED on keyboard goes off, no menu appeared

Oh, and BTW, nice suggestion and nice modification :)

sb06794

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03 PM »
skwire,
I assumed you were the original author of this program.  All I can say is that it's still not working properly for me.  Your description above is correct.  Try it yourself.  I have no idea why it started working for "ewemoa", but it still is not functional for me.  The timing seems to be OK, but the caps lock key can not be turned on or off through the caps lock key itself, only through the CAPshift menu.
Stu

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:02 AM »
I assumed you were the original author of this program.  All I can say is that it's still not working properly for me.  Your description above is correct.  Try it yourself.

It works for me under XP SP2.  As a test, I set the menu delay for two seconds and the enable delay for one second.  Holding down the caps lock key for two seconds brings up the menu whilst releasing the caps lock key within the last second toggles the caps lock key.  Anybody else using CAPshift care to test this?

sb06794

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 07:06 AM »
I'm testing on XP SP3.  Maybe the problem is related to the difference in the operating system?
Stu

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I'm testing on XP SP3.  Maybe the problem is related to the difference in the operating system?

I doubt it; ewemoa reported that it works fine for him under XP SP3.   :huh: