topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free  (Read 29587 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48 PM »
It's still a Slashdot-esque model though. Slashdot's system is more sophisticated in that you can set moderation viewing thresholds, but otherwise it seems basically the same. Betanews now has a system like this too.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 11:21 PM »
@Perry Mowbray -

It's just my personal take on the beast. There's nothing to say I'm right by any stretch. But again, the personal choice to use a piece of technology to screen something you don't want to see is what I consider a dangerous habit to get into. To my way of thinking, it encourages a certain mental laziness.

And once it starts screening things for you (sight unseen) based on votes cast by others you believe you can trust, it starts crossing into the realm of being a tool for groupthink. And it has the capability do just that. In fact, it's listed as a feature:

Posts voted below a given number are hidden. ("Bad posts")

- and -

Members choose to either hide Bad posts, or grey them out, or none and display them normally.

I mean seriously, what's to stop you from just blowing past the comments from people your experience has taught you don't rate more than a skim? The simple fact that GP/BP has a feature to mask them seems to indicate there is a desire on the part of some (many?) people to be spared even that much effort.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. But I don't really think so.  :)

Another problem I see revolves around the effect the "respect" scores can have on new or infrequent contributors. Such a system has a bias which favors established frequent posters. You can't build up your level of "respect" until somebody votes for you. But the people who have the screening feature enabled can't vote for you because they may never see your post to begin with. All it would take is a few trolls self nominated gatekeepers who make a habit of slagging new arrivals or have an axe to grind about a certain viewpoint.

So it has the potential to become a vicious circle that eventually places all the "opinion power" in the hands of a relatively small clique.  Sorta like Orwell's Animal Farm where "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." And that's a big problem.

As JavaJones pointed out, it's basically the Slashdot model.

8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:32 PM by 40hz »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46 PM »
OK point taken, and maybe it's better not to offer it because it'll encourage people not to look, read and think?

Personally though, if I opened a thread of many pages and I didn't have the time to look at each one, I'd like the ability to filter based on what other people thought was the most helpful (and I think it's anyone, the vote doesn't count more because you've been voted for previously). If I wanted to I can always turn the filter off...

But the people who have the screening feature enabled can't vote for you because they may never see your post to begin with.

Actually, my understanding of:
Posts voted below a given number are hidden. ("Bad posts")

was that you could specify a bad post as say lower than -5, which means that the sum of voting = -5 ( + 2 - 7). I think it should also read "may be hidden" as it depends on the user.

So if you set a number greater than 0 no posts would display in filtered format!! I'm pretty sure that means that that's not the way it's meant to work... it's only meant to filter posts with a sum of less than a negative number (which means the majority of users voted it down).

I honestly thought this type of mod was aimed at making the long threads easier to read quickly  :-\ But I have never bumped into heavy censorship (except on a national level  ;) )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54 PM »
what i think would be a nice compromise would be to not mess with visibility of stuff on the forum when browsing the forum.. but perhaps enhance the search system to use tags and votes and q&a lists to provide a better search facility.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58 PM »
That would certainly help so that no one could blunder into not seeing posts.

And if it was all able to be searched and/or re-mashed onto other pages: all the better!! In fact: perfect!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:53 AM by Perry Mowbray »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Points for everything.
Sounded relevant :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Nice find urlwolf -- fun article  :up:

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 09:33 AM »
another one, this time with actionable steps, and from MIT..

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09 AM »
In the MIT article, I found this point both interesting and somewhat telling:
Sustain Loyalty.
Since reputation is usually based on activity performed within a single community or web system, it constitutes a powerful form of lock-in and can be used strategically to increase user loyalty and decrease attrition. Once users have built a reputation on a site, they will be reluctant to defect to a competitor since they would then have to build their reputation from scratch. In an increasingly competitive environment this dimension of reputation mechanisms must not be overlooked.

Suddenly, it doesn't seem so about benefitting the end user anymore.

Just thinking... :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I never have thought it was about benefiting the end user - at least not exclusively.  In the end, most people want to find somewhere that they belong- and building a reputation goes towards that in large part.

When you think of the DC community, certain screen names, if not real life names come to mind.  Those have become associated with DC based upon interaction and reputation.  Not to say that this was self serving- in fact, it's just something that happens, and DCers tend to be more selfless than selfish.

But everything from titles to badges to post counts are the same sort of carrot type leading mechanism- to keep people invested in a particular community.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38 AM »
But everything from titles to badges to post counts are the same sort of carrot type leading mechanism- to keep people invested in a particular community.

Badges? Badges? We don't need no steenking badges!  :P

Excellent point. :Thmbsup: Hadn't considered it from that perspective.

I tend to overlook the power of socially conferred tokens since I'm not all that interested in them. (Quite often to my personal detriment, I might add! ;D )   

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47 AM »
So, I've been looking at osqa. Thy seem to be cracking features at a good pace and they face the same issues with moderation and voting. The good thing is that they are not 100% clone, and since one can modify the code, one can have any variation on the voting etc (e.g., do away with badgets).

This type of site can definitely used for normal conversation or even announcement/blogging *example*

They seem to have the backing of http://dzone.com/. One of the most active users is Rick Ross, so I think the project will have a bright future. They released an (easier) install guide. I'll try to install it next...

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Ok, now I got osqa up and running. Looks very good, and very modular... let me know if you want to see if any mod you consider crucial is possible.

independently of osqa, there are other models to look at. Reddit and Hacker news for example.
Some interesting developments in the Hacker news area is browser plugins. For example, Hacker Friends (chrome extension) highlights when your friends post to Hacker News. I find it quite useful to go through the sea of hierarchical comments.