ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

stackoverflow-like site for DC. Would it work? Now free

<< < (6/13) > >>

wraith808:
I use tinyportal on my site... it integrates with SMF and turns it into more of a CMS/portal without diluting the forum feel to the site.  And I personally don't agree that something couldn't be added alongside donation coder without diluting it... but it seems that I'm one voice in the wilderness :)

nudone:
could the first few steps of presenting the same information in different ways be done using a tag system?

e.g. a forum thread that has been around for a month or two and is primarily a set of answers to the original post is tagged as "q&a" by one of the mods - who would also be able to tag specific replies as "nonessential" to the question and answer discussion. (perhaps even a colour system could be used to indicate non important replies - like a reply having a grey background). all this gets automatically duplicated in the Q&A section of the site.

or is this too obvious? or is it too much work anyway?

i suppose this is assuming there wouldn't be a Q&A area where people could post new questions - only read old ones from the forum.

urlwolf:
today I needed to find a total commander clone for linux I liked. It was on DC. I even installed it, but didn't remember the name. After 15 min of searches, I gave up. There's way too much info on filemanagers, and I didn't find it. I think we do need to improve organization. there's where a SO-like thing would help the most.

btw, it was double commander.

mouser:
agreed, this is something that could be improved on all forum sites.. but it's really more in the line of trying to figure out a way to improve search results, perhaps by doing some tagging of posts and adding ways to better retrieve and filter information that is already on the forum.

40hz:
Any librarians in the membership that can offer some input or insight? This sort of thing is right up their alley.

Those people wrote the book on information cataloguing, classification and retrieval. Biggest mistake the web ever made was not involving librarians from the get go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version