ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DuckDuckGo - new search engine

(1/5) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I recently happened upon a new search engine, DuckDuckGo.

It's not Google, but it does have some unique characteristics to recommend it. From their About page:

* Zero-click info
* Privacy kept
* Search sites with !bang
* Disambiguation pages
* Info topic summaries
* Less clutter
* Less spam & ads
* Shortcuts & other goodies
* Category pages
* Customization settings
--- End quote ---
I'm finding the zero-click information very useful for "what the heck is this" kinds of searches. And the disambiguation and category pages are nice as well. And their privacy policy is that they don't keep any of your personal history, period, which may appeal to those of you that sounded off in the "The More You Use Google, the More Google Knows about you" topic.

Here's a sample of their zero-click info thing. It looks like they try to find a hit in Wikipedia (and other sources?) and include a short clip from there directly into the results

Here's a sample disambiguation. If there are many clearly distinct meanings of a term (in my example, "python", it asks which sense you're interested in)

This is a start-up company, and the developer is very responsive to input.

Disclaimer: I have no association with DuckDuckGo, other than having corresponded with the developer over some suggestions.

sajman99:
DuckDuckGo seems pretty good to me.

I did a few searches for software mentioned in this forum, and the DC results were there. Same searches in Google produced no DC results.

But I sure hope the Aflac duck doesn't find out about this. ;)

nudone:
seems quite decent - worth a bit of testing. i like the context search options.

gexecuter:
Hey this site is not so bad, i might use it. Oh and is the duck a friend of cody?  :P

cranioscopical:
Oh and is the duck a friend of cody?  :P
-gexecuter (April 14, 2010, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Enough with these fowl wise-quacks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version