ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DuckDuckGo - new search engine

<< < (3/5) > >>

nudone:
Since this post hit, I've been using duckduckgo as my primary search, on a trial basis--and I'm sold on it. I try every search engine that comes along, but this is the first one that's really drawn me away for more than a few hours. I absolutely love it.  I still use google for deeper, more intense(ive) searches but for general queries, it's faster and far more to the point than google. Plus, keyboard support is excellent, !bang makes it easy to get out and the zero click / disambiguation features are brilliant.

It is exactly the opposite of that over-hyped, entirely useless cuil crap that claimed to be a google killer a year or two back.
-allen (April 21, 2010, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
very interesting. (and good to see a post from allen.)

TucknDar:
Nice find! I might start using this :)

Dormouse:
I tried a search.

It came up with one result which was related to what I was looking for, but wasn't.

The second entry on the results page was a suggestion/link to try Google. I did, and Google came up with a page of the sorts of results I was looking for.

Lutz_:
Since you reminded me of Cuil, I had to try it again - an I like it.  The search results very often more helpful than Google searches.
Since this post hit, I've been using duckduckgo as my primary search, on a trial basis--and I'm sold on it. I try every search engine that comes along, but this is the first one that's really drawn me away for more than a few hours. I absolutely love it.  I still use google for deeper, more intense(ive) searches but for general queries, it's faster and far more to the point than google. Plus, keyboard support is excellent, !bang makes it easy to get out and the zero click / disambiguation features are brilliant.

It is exactly the opposite of that over-hyped, entirely useless cuil crap that claimed to be a google killer a year or two back.
-allen (April 21, 2010, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

housetier:
I have also used duckduckgo as my default search engine for a while now and am quite satisfied with it. I like it for not being google, bing or yahoo; I like the endless result page that keeps expanding.

Naturally it is different from google, but I find it more usable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version