Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 17, 2014, 07:18:43 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DuckDuckGo - new search engine  (Read 7595 times)
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »

I recently happened upon a new search engine, DuckDuckGo.

It's not Google, but it does have some unique characteristics to recommend it. From their About page:
  • Zero-click info
  • Privacy kept
  • Search sites with !bang
  • Disambiguation pages
  • Info topic summaries
  • Less clutter
  • Less spam & ads
  • Shortcuts & other goodies
  • Category pages
  • Customization settings
I'm finding the zero-click information very useful for "what the heck is this" kinds of searches. And the disambiguation and category pages are nice as well. And their privacy policy is that they don't keep any of your personal history, period, which may appeal to those of you that sounded off in the "The More You Use Google, the More Google Knows about you" topic.

Here's a sample of their zero-click info thing. It looks like they try to find a hit in Wikipedia (and other sources?) and include a short clip from there directly into the results

Here's a sample disambiguation. If there are many clearly distinct meanings of a term (in my example, "python", it asks which sense you're interested in)

This is a start-up company, and the developer is very responsive to input.

Disclaimer: I have no association with DuckDuckGo, other than having corresponded with the developer over some suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:31:41 PM by CWuestefeld » Logged

sajman99
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »

DuckDuckGo seems pretty good to me.

I did a few searches for software mentioned in this forum, and the DC results were there. Same searches in Google produced no DC results.

But I sure hope the Aflac duck doesn't find out about this. Wink
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:38:41 PM by sajman99 » Logged
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »

seems quite decent - worth a bit of testing. i like the context search options.
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »

Hey this site is not so bad, i might use it. Oh and is the duck a friend of cody?  tongue

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »

Oh and is the duck a friend of cody?  tongue
Enough with these fowl wise-quacks!

Chris
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »

i like the results, but i think that duck should get some glasses and make the result text a little more uniform and compact.. something about the way results are presented makes me feel like i have to do a little too much scrolling.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:26:10 PM by mouser » Logged
Lutz_
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »

Thanks for this tip!  DuckDuck looks really good so far.
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »

... something about the way results are presented makes me feel like i have to do a little too much scrolling.

Try to set in the settings Width to "wide" and Size to "small".
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

Since this post hit, I've been using duckduckgo as my primary search, on a trial basis--and I'm sold on it. I try every search engine that comes along, but this is the first one that's really drawn me away for more than a few hours. I absolutely love it.  I still use google for deeper, more intense(ive) searches but for general queries, it's faster and far more to the point than google. Plus, keyboard support is excellent, !bang makes it easy to get out and the zero click / disambiguation features are brilliant.

It is exactly the opposite of that over-hyped, entirely useless cuil crap that claimed to be a google killer a year or two back.
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »

The only real problem I have with this site is that it requires javascript and I hate to turn javascript in general
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 02:29:27 AM »

Since this post hit, I've been using duckduckgo as my primary search, on a trial basis--and I'm sold on it. I try every search engine that comes along, but this is the first one that's really drawn me away for more than a few hours. I absolutely love it.  I still use google for deeper, more intense(ive) searches but for general queries, it's faster and far more to the point than google. Plus, keyboard support is excellent, !bang makes it easy to get out and the zero click / disambiguation features are brilliant.

It is exactly the opposite of that over-hyped, entirely useless cuil crap that claimed to be a google killer a year or two back.
very interesting. (and good to see a post from allen.)
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 02:51:14 AM »

Nice find! I might start using this smiley
Dormouse
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56:19 AM »

I tried a search.

It came up with one result which was related to what I was looking for, but wasn't.

The second entry on the results page was a suggestion/link to try Google. I did, and Google came up with a page of the sorts of results I was looking for.
Lutz_
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:17 AM »

Since you reminded me of Cuil, I had to try it again - an I like it.  The search results very often more helpful than Google searches.

housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

I have also used duckduckgo as my default search engine for a while now and am quite satisfied with it. I like it for not being google, bing or yahoo; I like the endless result page that keeps expanding.

Naturally it is different from google, but I find it more usable.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »

nice find, thanks CWuestefeld. thumbs up it works pretty well and i find myself using it more often nowadays. so much so that i've made a Farr alias for it.

ok, here is the alias (in zip format). to use the alias, unzip the file to your Farr Alias folder, might be something like this, C:\Program Files\DonationCoder\Farr\AliasGroups\Installed.

then from Farr, view the Options window and close so that Farr auto-detects the new alias. the search keyword is 'duk'.

edit: attached the alias file.

* dukgo-Farr-alias.zip (44.03 KB - downloaded 147 times.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:24:24 AM by lanux128 » Logged

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »

hey how about sharing that alias!!
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 01:18:41 AM »

hey how about sharing that alias!!

no problems, attached the zip in the earlier post. let me know if anything doesn't work..

Jammo the OrganizedFellow
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »

Alias works fine!
smiley
Very handy to use, when I don't want to use Google.

As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »

Alias works fine!
smiley
Very handy to use, when I don't want to use Google.

glad you like it..  smiley

MilesAhead

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

I've been using it in my browser address bar search. I just noticed the "bang syntax" feature.  Much more convenient that using "site:domain.com" and they seem to have accumulated quite a list of domains to work with it.

I like being able to look up a WinAPI call just by doing
!msdn FindFirstFile

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
 - Groucho Marx

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.057s | Server load: 0.09 ]