topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 :: A New Concept -- Have your say!  (Read 42487 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 :: A New Concept -- Have your say!
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 02:54 PM »
GoCode or DoCode or DoCoGoCode
  ;D
CodyCode

or, for the winter insomniacs
Codin' by doze

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I have real concerns that trying to do 2 similar events like this wouldn't spread ourselves too thin.

Another alternative we've discussed is for NANY to be an end of year celebration of ALL the new applications created over the last year by DC members.. this would include coding snacks and large applications, anything created in the last year.  It would be more of a showcase and celebration of what members have created.

I think that making the event focus on the whole year does exactly what you are trying not to do- spread things a bit thin.  Perhaps if we had another volunteer coordinator if it was too much for Perry, we could have things like app suggests- 2 cycles of apps per year, with one just starting as the other is winding down.  It *does* seem like traffic on DC picks up during the NANY season (though I could be wrong).  If it does, isn't NANY driving the growth of DC?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Let's not worry about driving traffic.. let's worry about making the event worthwhile for participants and potential users of the programs.

We could do 2 "contests" a year, one for nany, which is a no-winner thing, and one for larger applications where we have prizes for winners (as we have done in the past).  Nany is a regular thing, the other has been ad-hoc.  We could make it a more regular things once per year.

Or we could just have one contest celebrating all of the new applications released in the year, and give prize to the biggest and best..

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Or we could just have one contest celebrating all of the new applications released in the year, and give prize to the biggest and best..

The issue I see with NANY being a celebration of apps developed during the year is there no incentive, no push to get apps completed.   Without developing in a short time frame, at the end of the year, releasing the app by New Years Eve then everything NANY is is lost.  If that's where DC goes then the NANY tag should be retired and new new name used.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I hear ya.. though i guess what i had in mind was still preserving the mad dash for people to create new programs at the end of the year.. while still recognizing those who had created stuff earlier in the year, and celebrating them all at an end-of-year wrap-up.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I had suggested a summer event, that ran from June till the end of August, with the wrap-up in early September, followed by a reminder that NANY is on the way. I figured the entire summer would be great for coding more substantial things and it wouldn't clash with things like major holidays and exams.

I (and I think we) liked that suggestion, and is pretty much the proposal, just not as formalised. That type of arrangement, where the entrant decides on their own level of participation, has a lot of advantages (as mouser has said) -- and having the main work not clashing with holidays is very important (if we're wanting "main work" to happen).

From the surveys: having more time to do more substantial entries was a significant issue. That has been my main push, as a response to those requests.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 06:10 PM »
I hear ya.. though i guess what i had in mind was still preserving the mad dash for people to create new programs at the end of the year.. while still recognizing those who had created stuff earlier in the year, and celebrating them all at an end-of-year wrap-up.

This was how it was discussed previously: a bit like a newsletter thing --
  • Here are the NANY "winners"
  • Also released this year...

One of the biggest reasons for this is that NANY does attract attention, and it's not a bad place to also mention some of the other completions we've had here too. So the NANY wrap-up is a celebration, and caught up in that celebration are the other things that have happened through the year.  :)

Also: Let's not forget that a "mad dash" can be more than a month and not everyone wants their entry to be just what they can do in a month, they'd prefer extra time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:13 PM by Perry Mowbray »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Some of the reasons that Entrants didn't set up RedMine:

* I didn't want to have to deal with learning how to do RedMine while I was concentrating on getting my project completed.
    * I wouldn't know what to do with it.
    * Forgot
    * I've waned to use Mercurial CVS integration but it did not work.

Mercurial integration requires a mercurial account on the server, which should be requested through me.
We didn't have this setup until yesterday, when ewemoa requested it. :)
To address the issues I have created a page which summaries the features we offer on the member server, and a page with some basic mercurial help. :

https://admin.dcwing.com/services/

Eventually, perhaps a wiki would be a better format for all of that, but it's better than nothing for now. :)

<edit>
For clarity, if you read over the mercurial help page link on the services page, here is a direct link :

https://admin.dcwing...vices/mercurial.html

</edit>

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:50 PM by Gothi[c] »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47 PM »
For clarity, if you read over the mercurial help page link on the services page, here is a direct link :

https://admin.dcwing...vices/mercurial.html

Thanks for the mercurial set up and the summary :)

digression: some mercurial related info
I found it helpful to configure the hgrc file within a repository (so <repos-dir>/.hg/hgrc) with auth info.  Specifically, adding the following sort of section:

[auth]
something.prefix=https://admin.dcwing.com/
something.username=appropriateusername
something.password=appropriatepassword

Where "something" , "appropriateusername", and "appropriatepassword" should be filled in for your case.

It seems there's a relevant posting at StackOverflow, so here's a pointer to that:

http://stackoverflow...sword-with-mercurial

(The top response had a pointer to a page from http://hgtip.com/ which seems like it might be generally handy.)

May be Gothi[c] can scold me if this sort of set-up is a no-no :)

(I'm using mercurial through an upgraded installation of an old "portable" cygwin.)

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 04:56 PM »
I found it helpful to configure the hgrc file within a repository (so <repos-dir>/.hg/hgrc) with auth info.  Specifically, adding the following sort of section

It's not a no-no, but I find manually typing out the http authentication cleaner, also because the password is not as plaintext in your hgrc.

On the server side Mercurial will take the username you logged in with from the httpd authentication, so you can use something like:

[web]
  allow_push = someuser

Which is what I use to define which httpauth users are allowed to upload (write access)

If you really hate copy/pasting a password, and don't mind the plaintext password in a file, then that's definitively OK :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:59 PM by Gothi[c] »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »
In the case of CircleDock, you know it's only very loosely associatedly with DC and the distance has always been there.
-lotusrootstarch (April 18, 2010, 05:45 AM)

IIRC, CircleDock only came about because of a competition on DC (although Eric clearly had the idea anyway).

One of the things that has distinguished CircleDock & Trout is not their meeting the criteria mentioned at the start of the thread, but the fact that they found enthusiastic supporters and developer enthusiasm was also maintained (even if, in the case of CD, it required new people to step in - thank you Markham & Dr Wicked & SgtEvMcKay). It is this continued development and support that is the mark of a successful program and that won't really be measurable at the end of a NANYaprocess, which may only have left just enough time to get a program out of the door.

As I'm not a coder, I've only just read this thread because of Mouser's How Can We Improve DonationCoder? thread and I'm not sure I really have much to say. I can see that finding different ways of making it interesting and stimulating to programmers would be good - and that probably does need some changes every year (if it is every year) - but highlighting the boring bits might not quite do that.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2010, 02:47 AM »
would be more fun if the winners for NANNY '11 will have some token of prize(keychain medals etc..).. like requesting to some big companies out there to sponsor for the forum event. cross deal by having their company logo shown on the NANNY Event. Its worth a try, since you have so many members here and much higher reputation level.

also, would be nice if there's a sub-board for apps skinners.. to show the most cyber-exotic looks.. not just power apps..

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 11:36 PM »
One of the things that has distinguished CircleDock & Trout is not their meeting the criteria mentioned at the start of the thread, but the fact that they found enthusiastic supporters and developer enthusiasm was also maintained

I always felt that that was a fairly random thing to happen (CD & Trout are absolutely fantastic -- but there were other good entries as well): each year it was interesting to see what entries attracted the most attention... and it didn't necessarily seem linked directly to the programme.

One aspect of NANY that I think is a shame is that the years go by and the previous entries are almost forgotten... but I'm not entirely sure that it's all customer voting by their feet... some of it I think has to be just not being made aware: there are some great programmes from previous years that would be good to have easy access to (well: easier access).

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 01:42 AM »
One aspect of NANY that I think is a shame is that the years go by and the previous entries are almost forgotten... but I'm not entirely sure that it's all customer voting by their feet... some of it I think has to be just not being made aware: there are some great programmes from previous years that would be good to have easy access to (well: easier access).
-Perry Mowbray (May 03, 2010, 11:36 PM)

I think in the days leading up to the unveiling of all current NANY application submissions, it might be nice in your update reports to pull some of the hidden gems from previous years and mention them. It would be like taking something old and making it new again.

Also, in the days leading up to Jan 1, mentioning various apps that have been contributed by members that were not/are not NANY submissions, but were created during the course of the year.

It would turn NANY into a year end wrap-up of all we have done in the past year, what we did for previous NANYs, and leading up to the fresh new year loaded with new apps.

We used to do a "best of" list with links to the best forum threads of the year: https://www.donationcoder.com/2008/

Perhaps if we took that approach with the software that has been created here during the year, it might give attention to some of the forgotten stuff.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12 AM »
it might be nice in your update reports to pull some of the hidden gems from previous years and mention them
That's a nice idea!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Thanks App: yes, I think the Celebration aspect of NANY can be highlighted more, or maybe even separated somewhat...

So, NANY is part of the Software Celebration that happens during January and that looks back over the year  :-\? But it does not have to be the whole celebration.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's going to be difficult to maintain a combined "mad dash" and "first class" type of NANY: they seem too opposed. And most people seem to be gravitating toward a simpler NANY -- which does not exclude the "first class" entries (many of the "dashed" entries are very first class!), but also does not encourage it either (time restrictions are an issue for many of the entrants).

One of the reasons behind the whole "first class" thing was to encourage more substantial entries of consistent quality for those that wanted to do that type of entry. I do not think that that will happen in the mad dash time-frame.

One thought that's been bubbling around in my mind is that quite a few entrants started working on their NANY entry well before December... I wonder if there's a way to encourage this by having something like a Labs or Summer School or something (as was previously suggested) earlier in the year that provides an opportunity and framework for someone to develop and fine-tune their application; and if the entrant wants to they can submit it to NANY for further development / testing / finishing?

I'm not really sure what format the Labs / Summer School / Event could take, but we have such a wealth of mentors on DC and a large member base that are keen to suggest, brainstorm and work on software (it's almost what we do best), that for someone wanting to work on something more substantial, maybe even in teams, it would be a great opportunity to tap into those resources (which is difficult during NANY). But it's basically for someone who wants a longer lead time and to tap into the DC resources: ideas?

And everything would get caught up in a Celebration Catch All at the end of the year!