ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple Attacks Adobe

<< < (3/6) > >>

wraith808:
(I'm no fan of Adobe either, but you get what you deserve when playing with proprietary software and hardware.)
-zridling (April 15, 2010, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Get what you deserve?  That's sort of harsh language... like blaming the victim for being mugged just because they were walking through a bad neighborhood.  Some people prefer working with closed systems that just work... do they deserve to be gimped by the product maker whims?  It might be legal, but I wouldn't say it's ethical...

f0dder:
(I'm no fan of Adobe either, but you get what you deserve when playing with proprietary software and hardware.)
-zridling (April 15, 2010, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Get what you deserve?  That's sort of harsh language... like blaming the victim for being mugged just because they were walking through a bad neighborhood.  Some people prefer working with closed systems that just work... do they deserve to be gimped by the product maker whims?  It might be legal, but I wouldn't say it's ethical...
-wraith808 (April 15, 2010, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1

Gwen7:
i don't think it's so much you get what you deserve with proprietary software and hardware.

It's more like you just get what you get.

It's their clubhouse. Your only real choice is to go elsewhere if you don't want to play by their rules. So be sure to read the EULA and terms of service before you hand anybody your credit card.

The only vote you have is your pocketbook when you're dealing with somebody like Apple or ATT.

zridling:
What Gwen7 said.

Thing is, if you build, sell, and make your money from closed, proprietary software (or hardware), don't be surprised when the tables are turned on you. Your favorite monopoly won't last forever, and as Apple is demonstrating, the industry can shift on a dime when the time is right. With open standards and open source, you sidestep that entire mess. But you're "free" to pay a corporation to rip you off over and over and over and over and over and over -- just like Apple does its own customers. (And they're happy for the beatdown!)

wraith808:
With open standards and open source, you sidestep that entire mess.
-zridling (April 16, 2010, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like with SMF?  OSS is not the Holy Grail.  It has its ups and downs just like anything else, and when people start making money off of it, all bets are off.  You might have the source to one version, but that source isn't necessarily the next version that's put out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version