ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple Attacks Adobe

(1/6) > >>

Renegade:
Has anyone been paying any attention to the Apple iPhone developer license 3.3.1 issue?

I've already posted a few of my own thoughts at my new blog, Microsoft 2 Apple. (NSFW warning: Contains profanity - no nudity or anything else.)

There's even a Facebook group about it: I'm With Adobe

Any thoughts on it from anyone?

For those not familiar with it already, Apple has restricted all iPhone development to Objective-C, C, and C++ (written/compiled in Xcode) (with some other allowances for HTML5 and JavaScript that have strict limitations). They are torpedoing a whole whack of technologies that people use for iPhone development:

* Flash
* MonoTouch
* Unity3D
* Lua
* ...and others...
The general reaction so far is pretty vicious against Apple.

Novell (makers of MonoTouch) have been very diplomatic saying that they are asking for "clarifications", or in other words, they're looking to see if Apple wants to screw everyone, or just Adobe.

Thoughts?

mouser:
i've been following it and just feeling like it's just one more reason not to want to code for apple products.

Eóin:
Of course if Apple were a monopoly like MS then the EU would probably already be stepping in to prevent this nonsense.

Here's an interesting development. It seems HTML 5 offered enough scope for Google to finally develop a long desired Google Talk app for iPhone, an app which Apple consistently refused to allow into the App Store.

It'll be interesting to see Apples response, my guess is they'll move to disable this application and close the hole they left open.

Ehtyar:
Shouldn't the title for this thread be "Apple Attacks Everyone...Except Apple"? Seems to me the change affects everyone who's not Apple.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
I'm guessing Adobe and Microsoft will ultimately end up filing in federal court against Apple since there's really no compelling technical reason to require all iThingy development to use one toolkit.

What leads me to believe this is Apple's recent "acceptance" of the 'mini' Opera browser into the App Store.

Maybe Apple figures if they relent on some of their more blatant efforts to restrict web and media access on their devices, they can use that in court to argue they're really not trying to restrict trade. (Cuz that would be like illegal, man!)

Once it does go to court however, Apple can expect to see pressure from AT&T, the music & movie industry, cable and TV broadcasters, and the book publishers - all of whom most definitely don't want to wind up being dragged into court behind Apple where they may be asked to justify some of their own monopolistic behaviors.

With ACTA and related legislation on the burner, I'm sure Congress, the Senate, and the EU won't be long in weighing in too.

All in all, it's a situation ripe for speeches and grandstanding. Especially with elections not too far off.

Apple Attacks Adobe

Gonna be fun! Grab some popcorn - and plan on getting there early to watch the fur fly. Hooah!!!!

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version