ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best FTP Server

ASRT: 5/7/05 - BEST FTP SERVER - POST SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

<< < (3/4) > >>

tenseiken:
mouser: That makes me wonder about Blackmoon.  I'll keep my notes about it thus far to myself, but suffice it to say, it's not a front-runner.  I'll look into Titan--the screenshot reminds me of Gene6, though.

vegas: I'll look into Typsoft's offering.  FileZilla was okay for freeware, and may be all that some people really need.

Zero-Point:
ioFTPD hasn't been mentioned.

If I recall correctly, the developer had been hired by Inicom, who also had hired the developer of FlashFXP. A new version is in development (and has been for some time) including a rewrite of the whole core. His main focus is on speed and security, but it is highly scriptable and offers a lot from the community.

It is relatively difficult to configure and maintain with no GUI; everything is done via file editing and client commands. The new version is supposed to use a web server backend for configuration. The ioFTPD community is...how do I say...interesting. Despise GUI's and despise those who ask for help on the forum but have not added that they are an ioFTPD registered user to their profile. Thus they don't offer help until you are shown as registered and ban them for thinking they are using a pirated version if they don't.

The other server I have really used and liked was RaidenFTPD. Although there had not been a lot of development for a while, big feature additions have been added recently including a remote control.

tenseiken:
I have very little interest in programs that offer no GUI, and I have a feeling the average user will feel the same.  If someone else wants to muck through text config files and offer their opinion, feel free.  If nothing else, we could always link to the post from the review.

mouser:
the use of programs with no gui in windows is very popular in alternate universe #992X3, but here in this universe i think it's kind of insane, especially for something like an ftp server with so many options.

revising my list of must-have features for an ftp server:
1) ability to specify passive host ip and ports for working with routers (do they all do this now?)
2) ssl support (sftp support?)
3) ability to view HISTORY of activities
4) easy ability to add/modify users and indicate which directories they have access to; easy for me to set a specific home dir for ftp users.
5) good security.

as a side note, one of the tricky things when writing the reviews is how to consider price.
on one hand, i tend to think of the reviews/awards as being for the best app, regardless of price.
but on the other hand, price plays a part when considering whether to recommend a program.
in general i think that the more expensive a program is relative to its competitors, the bigger the hurdle it has to overcome.
so if the best ftp server is $999 and the 2nd best is $20, and the second best is only missing some fairly trivial stuff, then i think the $20 app deserves the nod.

even outside of choosing the winner, price effects how much time to spend in the alternate programs section.
if the best ftp server is clear and far above the rest, and is also the cheapest, then very little time is needed in the alternate programs section.
but if there is a very close tie among top contenders, and they are all similarly priced and expensive, then considerable time should be spent discussing alternatives and opensource/free versions.

i'm really looking forward to the review - let us know how we can help.

mouser:
Crob Ftp

http://www.crob.net/en/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version