ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

usb hard drive problems

(1/2) > >>

techidave:
I have a Maxtor One Touch External hard drive and now Windows says I should run chkdsk on it to fix errors.  The problem with Windows XP's chkdsk utility is it takes so long that I wonder if it has locked up or something.

Is there a freeware utility out there other than the manufacturer's software that will do this???

Dave

sajman99:
HD Tune has "Error Scan" among its features.

I have a portable version of Piriform's Defraggler which has a "Check Drive for Errors" option.

Also, there's one called Windows Surface Scanner, but if I understand correctly it doesn't actually fix errors. If you still have to run chkdsk to fix errors, then I fail to see the point of using it. :huh:

techidave:
thanks for the suggestions.  do your suggestions also fix the errors?

techidave:
I guess maybe I wasn't patient enough with chkdsk.  It went from barely started phase 4 to45 minutes later being almost done with phase 5.

I looked at defraggler but i believe it only checks for errors.

yksyks:
If your disk has really physically damaged sectors, I managed to recover several USB disks using the DRevitalize utility. Not freeware, but the demo did the job. You have to be patient, though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version