ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Helicon Filter won't work on my computer!

<< < (4/5) > >>

Dormouse:
I guess I should just be patient and wait to see if my message ever gets posted on the Helicon forum, and if it does, whether it gets a reasonable response.
-cyberdiva (April 11, 2010, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to have got an excellent response. And they'll hold the BdJ price for you until the problem is sorted. And they want you to try Focus out too.

Darwin:
btw, the BDJ offer is for a lifetime license (so it's still tempting aaaaghh!):
-tomos (April 12, 2010, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're an evil little man, Tom! I'd managed to walk away from the BDJ offer and you've got me scurrying back over to review it (yet) again  >:(

cyberdiva:
Did you try to disable your "security software" (antivirus etc..) during the install process?
No problems here on XP SP3.
-Lutz_ (April 12, 2010, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, Lutz, for your response.  No, I didn't disable my security software (AV, firewall, anti-malware, and WinPatrol Plus).  I have rarely had to do this, and IIRC never before with any graphics program.  But it's something I'll keep in mind. 

cyberdiva:
You say that there were two exe files at the same time. But Helicon only runs one exe at a time, so this proves that the first one didn't close properly before you started the second one; Hence the freeze. Remove them both thoroughly (REVO > "moderate") and try out version 5.0 again.
-Curt (April 12, 2010, 02:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I had the same thought.  So I used a restore point from before I had installed either program and then tried again to install the beta 5 version.  Same problem as before.  I didn't look to see whether there were again two copies running, though I probably should have, though if there were, it wouldn't have been from the free version's not having been successfully removed.  I was so disappointed and annoyed that all I wanted to do was get rid of HF.  This time, I used Revo with its Moderate setting.  Even after Revo had zapped it and the Registry entries, the [expletive deleted] splash screen was still there!  I had to reboot to get rid of it.

cyberdiva:
@ CyberDiva -
maybe I over reacted when saying I wouldnt re-install after uninstalling. But then the fact this has happened to others makes it sound like it will happen again if you reinstall... (although it might be okay if you just install the beta? - Skwire had the problem with the free version too)-tomos (April 12, 2010, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Alas, it happened again even though this time I tried to install just version 5.

btw, the BDJ offer is for a lifetime license (so it's still tempting aaaaghh!):
--- End quote ---
Yes, sigh, I too saw the message on BdJ.  It's the lifetime license that really makes the offer hard to resist.  But my frustrating attempts are strengthening my resistance.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version