topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for February 17, 2006 - Codename 'Mini-Review Marathon'  (Read 11345 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for February 17, 2006
Codename 'Mini-Review Marathon'

"If you read nothing else on our site, read the newsletter!"

1. Mini-Review Marathon
This past month has seen a real increase in the number and quality of member-written mini-reviews, on a wide range of software.  It's a fantastic way to find out about good software you may have overlooked in the past.  Some new mini-reviews:

2. New Contest - Cody's Excellent Vacation
Now's your chance to win a rare DonationCoder.com collector's item.. Worth over TEN MILLION DOLLARS !!!! (disclaimer: may be worth substantially less). Cody the bird (the official DC mascot) has absconded with a big chunk of your donations and he's taking an expensive around-the-world vacation. Only you can help him send back some postcards from his trip.  Visit the CodyCards Page and help him write a postcard. Make sure you submit your entry to the public gallery where others can see it. On March 1st, 2006 we will choose some of the funniest entries and those winners will get a custom item of their choice from the HyperRich Friends of DonationCoder.com Cafepress Shop with their winning postcard image on it.

3. Just for Fun
We try to mix business and recreation on the DC forum; if you're looking for some amusement and a good way to waste some time, look no further than these posts:

4. Be Careful Out There!
We try to keep on top of the latest threats and warnings on the internet.  Some noteworthy posts include some security risks, a possible health risk, and an insidious trend in the guerrilla marketing of computer products:

5. New Software Discoveries
One of the favorite things to do on the DC forum is talk about new software discoveries.  Everyone likes to learn about some new program they didn't know they needed.  Since the last newsletter we've come across some very cool stuff:

6. Site News
There's always room for improvement on our site, and we're always open to making changes and listening to your suggestions.  Due to popular demand we've added two new sections on the forum, one for talking about Programming related issues, and one to help people locate the best programs for any given task:

7. Program Updates - The Calm before the Storm
We've got a bunch of new programs in development, and forthcoming major updates of Find and Run Robot 2 and Process Tamer will be out soon.  Some recent updates:

8. Coding Snacks - Teamwork Edition
Skrommel continues his Coding Snack binge - adding new utilities each week based on user requests.  Recently he's got some company on the Coding Snacks section of our forum as well, with several other AutoHotkey and now FBSL scripters joining in.

9. Latest Discounts
February brings with it a TON of new exclusive discounts, many 50% off normal prices.  You'll find discounts on some very popular well known programs, like True Launch Bar, on software that has been recommended by our users, like PS Tray Factory, a beautiful systemtray clock replacement, a nice schedule printer for daybook fans, a powerful exe resource tool, and many more.  They're all shareware so try 'em out and see if you find something you like.  Members will find screenshots and discount links in the Member's Only section of the forum.
  • Member's Only Section: https://www.donation...hp?board=18.0?ref=nl
  • Discount Summaries and Expirations: https://www.donation...ts/index.html?ref=nl
  • True Launch Bar - 50%
  • PS Tray Factory and PS Hot Folders - 50%
  • Clock Tray Skins - 50%
  • Fast Schedule Printer - 50%
  • Resource Tuner - 50%
  • SikUp! - 50%
  • PageSpy - 50%
  • Almeza (MultiSet and Captain Tray Pro) - 50%
  • DoubleSafety - 50%
  • Neon Labs (Wallpaper Expert and NeoN Reminder) - 50%
  • Web Stream Recorder Pro
  • Dr.Explain
  • AmiPic
  • Subliminal Flash
  • Moveax (ViewFolderSize and more)
  • Sencesa Software (multiple)

10. IMPORTANT! Changes are Coming in March
The end of March will mark our one year anniversary(!).  After that we will no longer be offering Charter Member accounts at our site.  All donors after the one year anniversary will be known simply as Supporting Members.  So if you want to be part of the founding members of DonationCoder.com, with all the benefits that may entail, you don't have much time left to make a donation before the new changes take effect..  And if you're already a member, don't miss this opportunity to tell a friend about our site!

If you have good ideas about how to improve the newsletter or the site itself just reply to this post.

More links:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:18 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newsletter for February 17, 2006 - Codename 'Mini-Review Marathon'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:23 PM »
sorry the server is slowing down today - we still haven't mastered how to send out 18,000 emails and not have the server turn into a turtle trapped in a molasses swamp in slow motion.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:30 PM »
"If you read nothing else on our site, read the newsletter!"
That's the way i thought, "if i read all the site every day, why should i have any interest in the newsletter?". Well.. All that changed when i read this one.

It's very well structured, has everything that went on on the past month, all the news, all the posts, all brainstorming going on (well.. not all of it, the references are all there ;) ).
Receiving it on the mail is just the cherry on top of the cake, it allows for a good storage on information about what happened and when it happened, and even helps divulging DC, if you forward it to your friends.

About point 10, I'm happy I joined before the first anniversary :D
How about YOU? Have you joined? What are you waiting for?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 06:52 AM »
That's the way i thought, "if i read all the site every day, why should i have any interest in the newsletter?". Well.. All that changed when i read this one.

My sentiments exactly -- this issue was just chuck-full of great information, suffciently organized and well presented.

And, hey, looky that, I got me a charter thang, too. I must be one of the cool people!

Loonier

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • wildly boring
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 06:38 AM »
Yes, an enjoyable - as always - newsletter!  This issue had me left-clicking away there for a while...

dingus

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • what u lukin at
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:22 PM »
GREAT newsletter....I'll send some more money home soon :up:
The tailless fox preaches taillessness