ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

building reputation: great o'reilly book and blog

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
The book:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596159801

The blog:
http://buildingreputation.com/

Some quotes:
Karma is a reputation score for a user in a community, it may be comprised of many components, such as:

* How long has this person been a member of the community?
* What types of activities has she engaged in?
* How well has she performed at them?
* What do other people think about this person?
* Having access to a person's reputation might help you make better informed judgments. Judgements likeā€¦

* Can I trust this person?
* Should I transact with this person?
* Is it worth my time to listen to this person?
--- End quote ---

It's gotten to a point in which most of what I do online depends on my bullshit detectors.
The interesting thing is that even highly educated people fall for dubious advice online. Basically noone check sources online. This can only lead to impoverished decision making.

What are your heuristics for detecting bullshit?

Paul Keith:
...um sorry, come again?

mouser:
Really nice find -- very interesting stuff.  :up:

nudone:
i think online is a lot like offline. you meet, you chat. at first you don't take every word said by a new "friend" as gospel. after a few more encounters you build a picture of this person. at some point you realise that all the outlandish stuff they said is bullshit - or they are just one of those people that live a crazy life (i know someone that can't help but have an adventure every week to the point that his life sounds like total fantasy).

i don't think there's any way of speeding up the process - online or off. you might embrace a forum that is full of bullshitting idiots that just rank up the reputation of each other - because they are all lying buffoons (or teenagers). in which case you'd be mislead into thinking these people are experts - maybe a couple will be.

it used to wind-me-up seeing all the drivel throughout the design blogs. regurgitated "expert" opinion and commentary is the norm. it's everywhere online - with so few real experts. what's the solution? i just stopped reading those blogs and feeds.

it's the same in the real world - there aren't many experts. you'll have to suss them out as you find them - if you do find them.

urlwolf:
...um sorry, come again?
-Paul Keith (April 11, 2010, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

So...
examples of MY heuristics (i. e. shortcut, tricks, rules of thumb):

* Do the want to sell me something? Do they have an agenda of any kind?
* Do they have more ads than actual text?
* Is the design good? Do they look like they invested time and money?
* Is the url short and meaningful?
* Do I know something about the author that is impressive?
* Is the author talking about the thing he's an expert on, or something completely different?
* Is there any evidence? Or is it just opinion? (big one!)
* Is what he's saying logical, consistent?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version