ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

two-monitors ergonomics

<< < (12/14) > >>

mouser:
i resisted LCDs for a long time.  i can't comment on image quality.  what i can say is that the benefit in terms of savings in desk space, especially when you have 2 to 4 monitors, is impossible to overestimate.  it is one reason i would never go back to CRTs at any price.

f0dder:
Dunno about quality difference between CRT and TFT - might still be issues if you're doing graphical design, but I don't. Image quality is just fine on my samsungs, and I don't experience ghosting issues in games or movies. And TFTs have the big quality over CRTs that they're a lot easier on the eyes; while they're still not 100% flicker-free, they easily beat 85Hz CRTs (and yes, I've reached a point where 75Hz is unbearable and I still notice a slight sense of flickering at 85Hz).

nudone:
as above. i laughed at LCD technology for a few years and stuck with a CRT (quite decent for the time) monitor. i couldn't help but pass my opinion on to the owners of LCD screens when i sat in front of them - they were rubbish after all.

eventually, during a total system upgrade, i bit the bullet and went for an Eizo 24" (at the time over £1000), as it promised to be an amazing monitor.

is it? well, yes and no. it doesn't have the contrast of a decent CRT monitor - i don't believe anything with a backlight can be. BUT, like mouser, i'd never go back to using a CRT now. the pixel sharp image makes any CRT look daft - they just can't do it. and as f0dder says, looking at something that flickers - i can't believe we all had to sit in front of such torture machines. never again.

okay, this Eizo screen is still something above average - but i'd expect something about half the price to be as good now, well maybe 3/4 of the price. there's a clear difference between a decent LCD and a budget one, they still aren't absolutely fantastic - maybe LED is better, i don't know (i assume so if the backlight problem has been sorted out).

get a good LCD (or some improved technology) and i think you'll not be 100% satisfied with it - but it will still be more enjoyable to stare at than any CRT.

Innuendo:
I'd love to try out an Eizo, but they are extremely cost prohibitive here in the U.S...even more so than they are in Europe. I think a major problem is that the brick & mortar stores only sell units with TN panels. Definitely the bottom of the barrel quality-wise....

I've got my eye set on an HP zr24w right now. It seems to be one of the better units out there & doesn't have a bad price, either. I just need to find a place that sells it at a decent price that has a good return policy.

nudone:
interesting. i did assume they'd be cheaper in the US. good luck with the HP screen then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version