ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Well I'd like to have shared some ....

(1/4) > >>

george7987:
info in a document I prepared on the subject, in a PDF format, seems like a strange format to disallow, but the site won't allow it, so ...!

But if you are interested in a good file backup alternative, with versioning, automation, scheduling, Windows Shadow Copy, extremely easily configured, works well, forget worrying about Full Diff and Incremental and how to make them work together, forget about forever getting that message that says can't restore because can't find the initial full version etc etc...

Look at www.Altaro.com

tomos:
sounds interesting

ReverseDelta™ to Save Space

Using its ReverseDelta™ incremental technology, Oops!Backup will only back up the actual changes you make to a file – without needing to back up the whole file again every time you make a change. What distinguishes this technology from other products is that our innovative ReverseDelta ensures that the latest version of a file is always available in its entirety and not as a delta file.

--- End quote ---

george7987:
I thought it was..

'Charter Member', sounds important, can you tell me why I can't upload a PDF file as an attachment. Seems like you can upload all sorts of risky files like executables, yet not something as benign as a document. Typical developers, last thing they are interested in.

How does one share a document on this forum?

mouser:
zip the file before you upload it, that's generally the best way to attach it.

george7987:
Hmmm. That saved a whole 26K, but what the heck, one more step.

Here then it is, please see the attached document at the bottom. Not mind blowing to the guru's on here I'm sure. I really put it together for the computer illiterate. However, I thought it might add something to the discussion as it seems to be ramping up here.

Now, I've just been reading a thread in your general area about people being paid to spruk products. My problem is that if you have something to say, and the ability to say it well, and you take the time to put together an article with argument and conviction, you're immediately spotted as one of these. This is the second forum I have joined, the first here in Australia (whirlpool) just hid my article calling it Spam.

Seems that unless you are cheeky with one liners, you are not part of the group. I'd like it to be known I do NOT work for anyone anymore (retired after 30yrs in IT, yes, started with paper tape, went through SQLWindows and ended with VB6/Oracle Ver8), let alone Altaro, just have a sincere conviction that this might end up being a really good product.

The reason I got this involved was that I was sick and tired of seeing Acronis at the top of all reviewers lists, and after buying it as a backup product, can only think these people have never had to restore after a serious amount of time. It just does not work as a backup product. Then I went to Nero BackItUp, and they couldn't even get their email notification configuration to work, and then Genie which I see is favoured here, bogs down zipping everything up in 4GB bundles. Finally you get to Backup4All which I believe works well (according to the friend who sent me here after I sent the attached article for him to review), but it again bamboozles the happless with screens of options, and the job of working out just how many and what type of backups you need.

Most people other than developers and 'geeks' never restore from an image, so most are led down the garden path buying Acronis or Norton imaging products. The people down the road who are book keepers, and developing their on-line shop with ShopFactory, and writing reams of word documents for one reason or another, are just not capable of let alone interested in, disk images. They want a product that when things go wrong, they can find a good copy of their files, and then after that, they need educating about versioning and what it offers.

And so do I, these days, if I develop anything, it's in MS accesss and I still use DAO, that was it's native api before everything had to front end the web somehow, and previously did my backups with MS Visual Source Safe to get versioning.

All these products had good points, but in the end were let down by lack of support and a care for the profit rather than the quality of the software marketed. All get so big they start buying other peoples good ideas and proceeded to loosly put them into their own product line with an eye on profit and little else, and to stuff them with a lack of support and evolution.

I don't know much about Altaro, but their product OopsBackup is new, evolving, and seems to work, which after months of trying other products, was refreshing in itself. So, I admit to being a fan at the moment, and having had some over active exchanges via their community forum (My Last Post there) but definitely do not work for them and am not 'buyable'

Just suggesting after seeing this forum list the same products basically as download.com, if you are software junkies, have a look at OopsBackup and reply with anything you like here, I'll probably learn something, but please, don't tell me about your favourite Sync program!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version