topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: TyperA - test your typing skills  (Read 28942 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: TyperA - test your typing skills
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I need a better keyboard :stars:
- carpe noctem

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 04:01 PM »
First try:

Your score: 481 keys per minute ~ 96 words per minute
Language/mode: de
Ranking: Very fast.
Comparison: 2% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 98% have a lower or equal result.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 09:23 PM »
perhaps yet another example of how we tend to believe we are above the average in most things

so so true.  you guys are incredibly fast.  can your mind even keep up with your fingers?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 03:12 AM »
They are fast but is that sacrificing accuracy - 'board' for 'bored' wouldn't be picked up by a spell check so careful checking would be required - if that checking was included in the time taken to complete the typing task ...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 03:17 AM »
They are fast but is that sacrificing accuracy - 'board' for 'bored' wouldn't be picked up by a spell check so careful checking would be required - if that checking was included in the time taken to complete the typing task ...
-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2006, 03:12 AM)

I don't make those kind of mistakes unless very tired or drunk :) - I do make lots of mistakes when speedtyping, but they're more of the "real" typo kind.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 03:35 AM »
Just sent this suggestion to the TyperA test designer:

Suggestion for TyperA
There is currently a bit of a competition going on at https://www.donation...6;topicseen#msg21696 to see who can type fastest but one thing I notice is that people's speed is not reduced for errors.

Can I make two possible suggestions (both of which would probably mean making the test typing window a bit larger): either

1) force people to edit the text they have typed until it is 100% accurate before the test is complete (this means that the test would run for 1 or 2 minutes as it does now but after the time no new words would be given but the clock would not stop until the test is 100% accurate), or

2) deduct all letters in all words typed inaccurately, so for example if someone types "bit" instead of "bite" they lose 4 letters from their total letters typed.

Either of these would encourage accuracy and so there would be no benefit for typing fast but with little accuracy.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 03:48 AM »
i like your ideas carol.
somehow i get the feeling that these speedy typers would be just as fast, relatively speaking, at this task, but the changes would make the test more realistic.

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 03:55 AM »
I think that a penalty system is already in place--something I discovered when inputting random keys.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 04:05 AM »
I think that a penalty system is already in place--something I discovered when inputting random keys.
-noth(a)nk.you (April 09, 2006, 03:55 AM)
True, there already is a penalty system, i think that mistyped words don't count at all (or do they count negative points?).

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 03:30 AM »
Tried 100% accuracy (typing a bit slower). But it's very difficult. I recognized the errors already while typing, but the site wouldn't let me change them, as I already started the next word.  :(

Your score: 522 keys per minute ~ 104 words per minute
Language/mode: en
Ranking: Very fast.
Comparison: 3% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 97% have a lower or equal result.

You typed: Expansion means complexity; and complexity decay. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exists as an independent cause of naturla events. Catsup and Mustard all over the place! Oh, among some poor souls, including even intellectuals in fields of high scholarship, science is frequently misperceived. It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get. For thee the wonder-working earth puts forth sweet flowers. Now whip them to maintain a constant pace and rhythm as they stand in even staves. He is a man capable of turning any oclour into grey. Satire is what closes Saturday night. Natural laws have no pity. Nothing recedes like success. Never test merely a subnet distribution when the whole net can be done. When it's dark enough you can see the stars. Evelyn, will you go into the auto-suggestion booth and take your regular place on the psycho-prompter couch? I know not with what weapons Wolrd War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. Grab it and run. Now he is a tinpot pope in the Coca-Cola b

Mistakes: naturla(natural), oclour(colour), Wolrd(World)

Well done!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 03:41 AM by wr975 »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 03:36 AM »
somehow i get the feeling that these speedy typers would be just as fast, relatively speaking, at this task
I always thought I can type pretty fast, but once I watched a die-hard secretary typing a letter. It was like 130 wpm with 100% accuracy...  :o

I'd say most people who type pretty fast, also add in a lot of errors (like I do). So always going back and correcting errors is taking more time, than just slowing down a bit and writing it correct in the first place.