topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Processors (CPU)?  (Read 4188 times)

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Processors (CPU)?
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:27 AM »
Probably a silly question, but here goes..

Is it only other Core i7's which perform better than a i7 920 d0, or are there others which do as well (excluding xeon)?
I have the impression that i7, i5 and i3 is the high, mid and low performance versions. Correct?

I'm asking because of the rather big pricejump from i7 920 to the next in that line.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Processors (CPU)?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27 AM »
I have the impression that i7, i5 and i3 is the high, mid and low performance versions. Correct?

As far as I can see...yes  :up:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:42 PM »
i7 860 actually performs as well or better than the 920 in most cases. It's clocked slightly higher. But yes, the only thing that's going to compete with an i7 is another i7, and you have the progression correct.

i7s are quad core with multithreading. i5s are quad or dual core *without* multithreading, and in fact many of the i5 models seem to be basically i7s with disabled multithreading. http://en.wikipedia....g/wiki/Intel_Core_i5 The i3s are all dual core, and lack "turboboost" which is the Intel Core i7/i5 technology that allows increased clock rates when only a single core of a multi-core CPU is being used. The i3s also usually have graphics chipsets built-in as they're intended for the budget market where this can be a great cost-savings for an all-in-one solution.

- Oshyan

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Apparently I did something somewhat good when I bought this processor a year or so ago.

It isn't that I'm dissatisfied with it or something, but my earlier purchases tended
to be lowered on performancelist rather fast after purchase (i.e faster processors
in the same series).

Btw, is there so much gain in performance by going from 920 to 960 (not extreme) that it excuses the
doubling of price?

According to Everest 5.5 CPU Queen, only Opteron 2378 (8x), i7 Extreme 965 (4x), Xeon E5462 (8x),
Xeon 2431 (12x), and Xeon X5550 (8x) perform better than my 920..
But that list doesn't seem to contain the entire i7 series among others.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:11 PM »
The performance gain from higher model number CPUs in the same family is almos always "diminishing returns" the higher up you go. The 920 was and is definitely the "sweet spot". The 960 does not justify its price IMO, especially when you consider overclocking ability of the 920.

- Oshyan

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:50 PM »
The performance gain from higher model number CPUs in the same family is almos always "diminishing returns" the higher up you go. The 920 was and is definitely the "sweet spot". The 960 does not justify its price IMO, especially when you consider overclocking ability of the 920.

- Oshyan
I guess you're right about that. This was another reason I asked about the other series.. Opteron and Xeon doesn't seem do be much use as they seem targeted
at an entirely different group.
Except Opteron 2378 it seems all those I compared to cost _alot_ more than the 920 anyway (the list above is in reverse, last=highest performance).