topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opera/Chrome no longer supported on chase banking sites after 18July  (Read 5687 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Banking giant JPMorgan Chase may drop support of some popular browsers because they do '...not all offer the minimum levels of security that we require while others may not perform well with our site.' After July 18 you may not be able to access the website with a browser that they do not support. The list of browsers they currently support seems outdated: Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher, Firefox 2.0 and higher, and Safari 3.0 and higher (for Macs only). With usage of IE6 plummeting and concerns about its security well known, the inclusion of that browser seems suspect. On the other extreme, rising star Chrome appears to be left out, too. What does Google think of that?
-Slashdot

Slashdot source

Chase website FAQ

What are “supported browsers”?
Supported browsers are browsers that we consistently use and test with our site to help provide a secure experience for our customers. More than 95% of our customers use at least one of the browsers we support.
We currently support the following browsers:

* Internet Explorer® 6.0 and higher
    * Firefox® 2.0 and higher
    * Safari® 3.0 and higher (for Mac systems only)

Note: After July 18, 2010, you may not be able to access our website with a browser we do not support.
-Chase FAQ

This bodes as another blow for Opera. I feel chrome support will be restored as chrome is gaining in usage every month.

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like crap to me
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, thankfully, K-Meleon users can easily change their useragent to anything they want, mimicking what they support, with Firefox 2 being one of the default options, and anything else being possible through the custom option.

Screenshot - 6_27_2010 , 9_40_25 PM.png

I can't help but wonder how old that page originally is, considering they mention WebTVw which technically hasn't been called that since July 2001 (does Microsoft still offer service for it?). They may just have slapped a date on it recently and not bothered to change the list of browsers and their versions.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, well I'm glad I don't bank with those old fogeys.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
luckily for me chrome passes my bank's browser security check with flying colors... but even if it didn't I could like app103 said, just change my user-agent
[Insert really cool signature here]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sometimes that's the way it goes:

Their bat...

Their ball...

Their yard...

You wanna play with these boys, you play by their rules.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:17 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
"For security purposes you must use IE6, the least secure browser known to man."