ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HCenc beta

<< < (6/8) > >>

MilesAhead:

Same here...don't have an HDTV yet. Still waiting for the technological advances to stabilize a bit. Right now anything you buy is made near obsolete by the next year's models.
-Innuendo (April 16, 2010, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sort of in between.  I have a Sony 27" CRT type TV with 1080i. The finest quality isn't required since it's not being blown up large.  If you have a decent source, DVD upconverted looks pretty good.  Also I have a WD set top box.  It can play Avi/Divx HD and .mkv .m2ts. It has it's problems but it's nice to see some stuff in native HD.

I think they phased out these "WEGA" HDTVs. I got this one for $520.. about the price of a conventional color TV.  I have relatives with a gigantic Sony HDTV that fills their living room but every time they come by and see some HD content on this thing they marvel at the quality.  So it's a good compromise of cost/quality.

Innuendo:
I haven't seen any development on DVD-RB in quite awhile.  I think most people are just burning to DVD9.  Seems Dobbs has moved on to BluRay.-MilesAhead (April 16, 2010, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dobbs has stated that just about all the features possible are implemented & all bugs fixed. It's not that he has moved on, but DVD-RB is feature complete. He did say he wanted to release another version sometime soon to take advantage of some new features in HCenc, though.

If you get 'em from an online outlet like SuperMediaStore $1.33 ea for 8x DL isn't all that outrageous.
--- End quote ---

No, that's not outrageous, but when you can get DVD5s for $.25 each, though....

Also if you start with an HD resolution .mkv most of the time you don't want to shrink down to DVD5.
--- End quote ---

I don't have an HDTV as of yet & if I did in order for .mkv to be attractive to me there'd have to be set-top boxes that can read the format. I haven't shopped online for one yet, though.

MilesAhead:
Even if you have a set top box that plays .mkv you have to make some decisions about storage.  If a stack of Sata drives in a cabinet is an option that's cool.  My budget can't handle that. If you have a nice looking .mkv it will often convert to DVD9 which, played on an upconverting DVD player, can look very nearly like the source in quality.  The other option, to shrink the .mkv, requires 4 or 5 or 6 hour sessions with Handbrake.  If you have a super PC though, that may be a viable option.  I'm not sure how well Handbrake handles multi-core.  I've only actually done a few runs with it.  I got good results on one run that took about 4 hours.  When it starts telling me the job is going to take 7 or 8 or 9 hours, I abort.  I don't have the patience for it.

Once you start watching a TV with 16x9 mode you probably will want to get everything 16x9 anamorphic.  4x3 letterboxed doesn't seem so bad played on a conventional TV, until you start watching a 16x9 TV, then go back and look at some of the old DVDs you bought.  One drawback to doing HD => DVD is resizing down is slow.  What you end up doing is usually shaped by what equipment you have to watch the stuff on.  On some boards if I mention I don't mind burning subtitles into the video, it's like I spoke out against democracy or something!! Oh no!! You're ruining the video quality!!!  Like I have a 5 foot wide TV to watch it on like that guy!! :)

MilesAhead:
So far I've done 3 or 4 encodes with the new HC beta and haven't noticed anything weird with 2 pass.-MilesAhead (April 13, 2010, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've always done the 2 pass. Maybe I should try the 1 pass once and do a comparison.
-Innuendo (April 14, 2010, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

btw if you do another run I'd love to see a screen shot with 8 copies of HC Enc running stuck all over the desktop.  Then I could live vicariously.  :)  By the time I'm ready to get another PC I hope 8 cores and USB 3.0 will be in off the shelf units in my price range. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for this stuff to ramp up.  Maybe by College Computer Buying Season or Christmas? :)

sajman99:
LOL, I'm also curious what Innuendo's DVD Rebuilder log files indicate on the total Rebuild Time.

I can only imagine what stunning times can be attained with his setup and DVD Rebuilder Pro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version