ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do *you* tell when your OS is booted/ready?

<< < (5/5)

JavaJones:
Interesting stuff.

App, you're a power user, but most I know are fanatical about *not* having a zillion things loaded, much less 40 systray icons, at startup. Shocking, but I assume you need them all or you'd have ditched them. Then again having seen your crazy task bar arrangement and whatnot, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. ;)

As for the purpose of this thread, I wonder if there is a way to check a list of stuff that needs loading, then test against the actual system environment to see if it has loaded yet, and thus at least partially determine if the load process is done? If you could do that, you could probably write a small app to do this. Yet another nifty coding snack? So it would be something like application checks list of e.g. system services, sees the ones marked "autostart", and checks operating memory/process list/whatever for those services, if it sees one missing it displays it in a list with a red x or something, while displaying the loaded ones with a check mark. Could be an interesting little tool, and if it included timers from boot start that stopped as soon as the app loaded (i.e. a time indicator next to the app/service entry that showed how many minutes after initial boot it was actually loaded), that could really help pinpoint things that are slowing down the boot process. Granted such an app to track this would need to make sure it loaded first, which might be tricky...

- Oshyan

barney:
I use Chameleon Startup Manager Pro to mange my startup items.
--- End quote ---

Been using the freeware version to stop/restart items that don't display in tray, but that's a recent thing, just trying it out.  Seems Lacuna Launcher might be more attractive, but haven't tried it - yet - been using Mike Lin's Control Panel & Startup Manager to ride herd on startups for years, but they may have reached the end of their utility  :(.

barney:
I wonder if there is a way to check a list of stuff that needs loading, then test against the actual system environment to see if it has loaded yet, and thus at least partially determine if the load process is done? If you could do that, you could probably write a small app to do this. Yet another nifty coding snack? So it would be something like application checks list of e.g. system services, sees the ones marked "autostart", and checks operating memory/process list/whatever for those services, if it sees one missing it displays it in a list with a red x or something, while displaying the loaded ones with a check mark. Could be an interesting little tool, and if it included timers from boot start that stopped as soon as the app loaded (i.e. a time indicator next to the app/service entry that showed how many minutes after initial boot it was actually loaded), that could really help pinpoint things that are slowing down the boot process. Granted such an app to track this would need to make sure it loaded first, which might be tricky...
--- End quote ---

That one would be a dream come true  :eusa_dance:.  Wonder how you'd make allowance for startup stuff that want to update on the spot, though, and take over the process?  'Spose ya could just invalidate such updates, though, and make them a manual thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version