ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do *you* tell when your OS is booted/ready?

<< < (4/5) > >>

MerleOne:
I personnaly use Startup Delayer from R2 Systems, a nice freeware.  I delay all possible application launch (whenever possible) and when SD has finished launching the last app, I consider it done, even if my AV might be updating in background, as well as Windows Update...

Darwin:
Hm-m-m ... no one seems concerned about when the autostart apps are finished..  Granted, I don't wait, either, but some of the apps I autostart are for security purposes, and are not truly functional until they have finished starting - ?!? - and thus are not functional when interactive usage is implemented.-barney (April 07, 2010, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's my "rule #1", above... I just didn't word it very well  :-[

1. When all apps in my startup folder are running
-Darwin (April 06, 2010, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

EDIT: FWIW, I use Winpatrol's Delay start feature as well, though I only use it for applications that conflict with others as they load. Currently, there are only two apps managed by WP: Feeddemon and VueMinder Calendar Pro. They've both been updated since they were "sent" there, so any conflicts may be a thing of the past...

app103:
Hm-m-m ... no one seems concerned about when the autostart apps are finished..  Granted, I don't wait, either, but some of the apps I autostart are for security purposes, and are not truly functional until they have finished starting - ?!? - and thus are not functional when interactive usage is implemented.
-barney (April 07, 2010, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good security tools that are worth their salt start as services before you even log in. They should be the first things that load.

On my system, if a security app isn't ready by the time my xchat opens, there is a serious problem, since the whole process from login to xchat is about 4-6 minutes on a fairly powerful pc. (I have a Q6600, 2G ram, running XP with classic theme)

I moved everything from the startup folder to my Lacuna Launcher app and know the applications in the list well enough to know how long they usually take to load. I do not put any security apps there. It's strictly for all the extras. I have played with the delay and pause to get the right combo and the order of launching has been tweaked to work well with the collection I have. I wanted and needed to have that kind of control, which is why I wrote the launcher.

I have things in the list that take a bit to load. I place them near the top of the list. Some apps rely on other apps to be loaded first, and they are placed near the bottom, with the things they depend on placed closer to the top.

EDIT: FWIW, I use Winpatrol's Delay start feature as well, though I only use it for applications that conflict with others as they load. Currently, there are only two apps managed by WP: Feeddemon and VueMinder Calendar Pro. They've both been updated since they were "sent" there, so any conflicts may be a thing of the past...
-Darwin (April 08, 2010, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was the problem I used to have and one of the reasons why I needed to be able to control the whole process more. I had so much stuff competing to get their icon in the tray at startup that half of them would fail. They would end up running in the background with no way to access them from the tray. I had to kill and restart them. And it was getting to be such a chore to sit there with a txt file check list of everything that was supposed to be in my tray, looking for every icon, every time I rebooted. At one point I had like 40 items with tray icons loading. I even used PS Tray Factory to set the order to make it faster to check for the missing ones. (is it any wonder why I absolutely hate rebooting so much?)

J-Mac:
I use Chameleon Startup Manager Pro to mange my startup items. The tray icon shows me that programs are starting and one-click on the icon shows me which apps will start and a what exact time. All are scheduled to occur within a few minutes. I wait until all of those are started before I consider my computer "ready-to-go".

Jim

barney:
Good security tools that are worth their salt start as services before you even log in.
--- End quote ---
Well, yeah, but not all security is about malware  ;).  There are several instances in my startup that are related to data security, e.g., the data sync that was mentioned.

I had so much stuff competing to get their icon in the tray at startup that half of them would fail. They would end up running in the background with no way to access them from the tray.
--- End quote ---
Hm-m-m ... looks as though Lacuna Launcher worth a visit, as that's a problem I've encountered lately  :huh:.  Never had to deal with it before  :-[.  Stayed away from startup delayers since some bad experiences back in the 98/SE days.  Yeah, I know.  But sometimes it pays to be an old fogey  ;D.

This thread was started on a whim, but as it progresses, I find myself more and more interested in being able to determine when startup is completed.  Not the stuff I've implemented - I know about that, it's a convenience, and I have a measure of control over it - but the stuff that the OS wants done, background processes that are not implemented as services.

Which brings another thought to mind ... wonder how much overhead is incurred by the services?  The information I've seen on services is disparate & fragmented.  Oh, well, that's for another day, I guess  8).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version