ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Note-taking Software for Windows (FREE)

<< < (2/7) > >>

note-taker:
@40hz,

I hope you're not jumping guns... see my response to @rjbull for the 100MB file size, yes, your gues-ti-mate is close... (besides, it's just one time download with fast speed connection)

40hz:
I hope you're not jumping guns...
-note-taker (April 05, 2010, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Never! We're 'gun free' in my house ;D

Besides, I don't have a problem with file sizes. Especially since I don't have an HD on any machine I'm regularly using that's sub-500Gb to begin with.

Quick question: do you (or are you planning to) support links like in a wiki?

-----

PS: my belated personal welcome to Donation Coder. I think you're gonna like it here. These people are great.

I also wasn't joking about the huge interest in note taking apps. Take a look at the General Brainstorming for Note-taking software discussion:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.msg16135#msg16135

It started back in 2006 and is still going today; butchers in at 33 pages worth of forum posts; and has experienced 220,500+ "hits" since it's been started.

:up:

note-taker:
@40hz,

Sorry I was too quick in "shooting out" :)  and thanks for the welcome.

"Quick question: do you (or are you planning to) support links like in a wiki?"
Excellent question!  If you install KN to an installable Windows box you'll see how wiki is being leveraged (contextually)... and this is just step one for 'organic' knowledge extension...

On your guys being BIG on Note-taking software discussion, that's AWESOME!
Give me a bit of time to "settle down" here...

Best,

Don

rjbull:
•100 MB download?  I thought UltraRecall was big enough, and that's only 10 MB.
The FAQ section mentions that the KN itself is only 1 MB, however, the software
comes with a web server, a web scripting language (Railo) and some other stuff like
an Access database, hence, they adds up.-note-taker (April 05, 2010, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eesh!  That's not just the tail wagging the dog, the dog's a chihuahua and the tail's a Great Dane!  :o

•KN = "knowledge notebook" expires in 30 days, then you have to ask for a free license, albeit that's then in perpetuity?
This is a way to engage users.  When we say it's FREE it is free.  A decent company
will stick to its words.

--- End quote ---

Your choice, but it sounds odd, a bit like something that was once shareware and is now freeware, but where the author hasn't bothered to remove the licence requirement.

•You have to turn UAC Off?  At least, the installation instructions say turn UAC Off, but they don't say whether KN will work properly thereafter with UAC On.
The instructions say "you may want to..", which implies that you don't have to, meaning, a user can leave UAC on to successfully install Knowledge NoteBook.
How could we word it better (clearer)?
--- End quote ---

My scenario is of routinely running a user account under Vista Home Premium.  Installing anything means temporarily elevating to administrator, i.e., Windows wants me to put in the admin password.  Once installed, most programs then run correctly under the user account.  I think I wanted to be clearer about whether KN would do so too, or whether certain features were only available under an admin account, so it was always best to run KN as admin, which is an extra step and a nuisance.

note-taker:
@rjbull,

Eesh!  That's not just the tail wagging the dog, the dog's a chihuahua and the tail's a Great Dane!

--- End quote ---
Ahe, funny :)

Your choice, but it sounds odd, a bit like something that was once shareware and is now freeware, but where the author hasn't bothered to remove the licence requirement.

--- End quote ---
We'll stick to what we say, it's totally FREE.  In the meantime, there's a business reason for it, we could talk about privately if you'd like.

My scenario is of routinely running a user account under Vista Home Premium.  Installing anything means temporarily elevating to administrator, i.e., Windows wants me to put in the admin password.  Once installed, most programs then run correctly under the user account.  I think I wanted to be clearer about whether KN would do so too, or whether certain features were only available under an admin account, so it was always best to run KN as admin, which is an extra step and a nuisance.

--- End quote ---
Interesting point on security with lesser account.  My concern is even as admin equivalent user the Vista and even 7 keeps complaining / asking for confirmations all the time, which is extremely annoying.  A guess is, the majority of the users use admin equivalent account, your thought?

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version