ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

O&O DiskStat 2 Pro (Easter promo)

<< < (2/6) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

So far I was not able to get it to unpack and install.
Corruption it says.
Plus I see it is Net-2.0 happy.

Shalom,
Steven

Innuendo:
Plus I see it is Net-2.0 happy.
-Steven Avery (April 06, 2010, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Avery, enlighten me on something. Why is requiring .Net a bad thing? I can see why people griped when one had to download huge runtimes in order to get the programs to work, but every Microsoft OS you can buy today comes with .Net pre-installed so I don't see any contention there.

Is it RAM consumption? With desktops commonly sporting 4, 6, 8 GB, or more I don't see how RAM usage would be an issue, either. What am I missing?

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

.Net is cumbersome, and they are release-awkward. Unlike Java, you end up with multiple .NETs on the disk, more points of failure and contention.

And why is it needed on what should be a simple disk access and display utility. Can it really give much gain ?  Doubtful. It is just that the programming house is used to programming other products under the same framework. Their gain (minor), our pain.

Conceptually, the idea is fine.  The problem is implementation (as shown by the need to have multiple .NETs.) and usage where it is just another failure point, and extra resource consumption, for little purpose.

Example. It is likely my download and unpack problem was .NET related.  I ended up with a folder of .NET somethings unpacked and the rest went haywire.  Never able to install. Too much complexity for a simple utility.

Shalom,
Steven

Darwin:
Well... try updating Java and see what happens! You have to go into Programs and Features/Add-Remove Programs and manually delete previous versions. Cumbersome. Not saying MS is perfect or anything... Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Carol Haynes:
Not true of Java any more - the last few updates have started to remove previous updates (not all the way back but recently installed previous versions) so if you do one Java cleanup you should not get Java bloat in future.

Personally I don't feel exorcised about .Net any more - chances are you are going to end up with it on your system one way or another so it doesn't make much difference to me if an app uses it.

The one thing I do hate about .Net is the way MS keep installing Firefox addons without permission and half the time you can't remove them with registry editing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version