topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sagelight Image Editor - pay what you want promo (Apil 2010)  (Read 87651 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In association with Gizmo's Freeware, the devs of Sagelight Image Editor are offering their V3.0 in a 'pay what you want' sale! this offer is valid through April, 2010. more info can be at Gizmo's site.

sagelight_sample.jpg

http://www.techsuppo...ght-Photo-Editor.htm

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sagelight Image Editor - pay what you want promo (Apil 2010)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Looks nice, lanux  :Thmbsup: Thank you for the heads up. Do you use this? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm downloading it now...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:05 AM »
i haven't used this software before. however since the freeware v2.0 is regarded as the "Best Free Digital Editor" at Gizmo's, i guess it wouldn't hurt to download the v3.0 trial and take it for a spin.. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44 AM »
i haven't used this software before. however since the freeware v2.0 is regarded as the "Best Free Digital Editor" at Gizmo's, i guess it wouldn't hurt to download the v3.0 trial and take it for a spin.. :)

Yup! Trying it out now... I have PaintShopPhoto Pro X3 and PhotoFiltre X, so don't know if this is going to be "must have software", but so far it does seem simple to use compared to the other two and light on resources. I'll post back later with a more complete impression.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21 AM »
i've been reading some of the comments on the Gizmo page and most of them are full of praise for the app. please do post a more "hands-on" impression after giving it some time. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I'd already downloaded this and taken a quick look at it.
Basically, I'm a hard sell with image stuff.
If I can't import an image and do all that I want with it in a single editor (including layers) I tend quickly to lose patience.

With this one, I found it worth watching the tutorial videos rather than adopting my usual bull-in-a-china-shop approach. It's not really obvious (to me) at first glance just how capable Sagelight can be.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Wow!  What a great find!  I've just downloaded the program and quickly tried it out.  I'm sold!
I take lots of photos, but most of them would benefit from editing that I don't know how to provide.
I sometimes muddle through with an old version of Photoshop that was bought for me years ago at work,
but this program looks as if it will be considerably easier for an uninformed user like me to handle.

Thanks VERY much, lanux, for the heads up.  :Thmbsup:

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I own the predecessor,"Lightbox", and was not even aware of the new version (and I am eligible for the update  :) ). 
This is a very capable single document editor for enhancing photos.  The UI is not exactly straightforward but very responsive making it a very fast editor.  There seem to be lots of new tools in the new version - will need some time to play with them.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56 PM »
i'm glad everyone finds this useful. i'm also checking out the examples right now. they look very intuitive.. :Thmbsup:

http://www.sagelight...or.com/mexample.html

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:33 AM »
I can report that I am not buying this for myself (as noted, I already have two other editors, one of which is installed on my system), but I've loaded it up for my mum and she's buying a license. It's very easy to use, once you get the hand of the interface (a bit busy) and does a good, very quick job. I haven't used it much, but mum and I edited some of her photos from a trip to Mexico and it did a very nice job. I like that it automatically appends "-edited.jpg" at the end of a new file so that you don't risk overwriting your original.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:26 AM »
a VERY fine offer
Thanks for telling!
 :up:

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02 PM »
I paid a mere $1 and got a license key. The present version is going to be updated. I'm waiting for that. Thanks for posting the offer, lanux128.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:58 PM »

not to give anyone a hard time - but just in case people haven't seen it:
The amount you choose to pay is entirely up to you but because of Paypal's fees, it is suggested that you make a payment of $2.00 or more otherwise the developer will be out of pocket which would be unfair

from Gizmo's site (link in first post)
Tom

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07 AM »
thanks lanux, nice deal  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Gizmo's site continues to be a great place  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 04:14 AM »
Well, I had a little go at it last night - it's a very nice progamme, it reminds me of Helicon Filter, which (free version) I also tried out for the first time within the last week.
I think I'd prefer this to Helicon Filter if just working on a very small number of images,

Some comparisions: Sagelight (SL) with Helicon Filter (HF) - Disclaimer: remember these are first impressions (please correct me if I wrong anywhere!)

~ Both are easy to use - just mess around and see what happens!
~ Both have a split pane view - original & current modification; in SL one-click shows you the original image at any time no matter the view
~ SL has the better rotate image - simply cause there is a grid overlaid - no guides in HF
~ SL has the 'Undo Brush' so you can selectively undo any of the effects
~ HF has noise reduction - cant find any in SL [I just found a 'Smooth Skin/Image' edit which = Noise Reduction, preview of effect doesnt allow you to zoom in though, so you cant really see effect unless you apply it... - a confusing interface here with changes shown 'live', and also a 'Preview Selection' setting which has the limitation as described in strikethrough text combined with: I not sure what exactly it's previewing ]
~ HF will correct chromatic abberation (have not tried) and you can adjust for a certain amount of lens distortion or from incorrect angle of image (skew etc)
~ SL - there doesnt seem to be a way of having a folder of images visible as thumbnails | with HF you can open a folder & select images, or even batch process (for what that's worth)
~ oddly, Sagelight does not have one shortcut key - not even Ctrl+O or Ctrl+S - that would drive me crazy if I wanted to work on a lot of pics (also have to use window open dialogue to find your pics)

[edit] added SL noise reduction [/edit]
[edit] corrected SL noise reduction info [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:51 PM by tomos »

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:15 PM »
I believeTomos assessment is right on.   Helicon Filter seems to be the much more mature program (and the UI is more straightforward), but Sagelight sees a lot of quick progress and has some excellent tools.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 11:55 PM »
FWIW (I know nothing about the program except that it was mentioned in this thread), Helicon Filter will be 50% off  ($37.50) on Bits du Jour in 3 days (12 April 2010):

- http://www.bitsdujou...ware/helicon-filter/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 05:41 AM »
I am happy with my six dollar Sagelight :-) but after trialing Helicon Filter 5 I am certainly going to take the offer on Monday, as well. What an easy way to make fine pictures!  :up:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:34 AM by Curt »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I am happy with my six dollar Sagelight :-) but after trialing Helicon Filter 5 I am certainly going to take the offer on Monday, as well. What an easy way to make fine pictures!  :up:

Interesting range of licenses.
On the HF website, they have a 12 month license for $20 and an unlimited lifetime license for $75.
The 50% off BdJ offer ($37.50) gives you free upgrades until the next major version. That might, of course, mean a lifetime ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:03 PM by Dormouse »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Interesting range of licenses.
On the HF website, they have a 12 month license for $20 and an unlimited lifetime license for $75.
The 50% off BdJ offer ($37.50) gives you free upgrades until the next major version. That might, of course, mean a lifetime ;D

The 12 month license reverts to 'demo mode' after your time is up (what exactly demo mode is, I dont know)
I presume (hope) "free upgrades until the next major version" does NOT revert to demo mode at any stage

Also, (probably more importantly) there's a beta of version 5 out, so the next major upgrade is presumably going to be very soon... (current version being 4.9.something I believe [can anyone confirm that current Helicon Filter is not yet at version 5?]
Tom
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:34 PM by tomos »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Curt, what do you like about Helicon Filter 5 that you really want but can't get with Sagelight?  I took advantage of the Sagelight offer, and now you've got me curious.  I think this forum is turning out to be hazardous to my bank account  ;) .

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 03:51 PM »
too many questions to answer... Helicon can be trialed for 30 days without any limitations. The version from BdJ is 5.0 beta. Version 4.93.2 is FREE :-)

http://www.heliconso...ilter_downloads.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:04 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Helicon can be trialed without any limitations for 30 days. The version from BdJ is 5.0 beta.

ahh, that probably (again: hopefully) means free upgrades till version #6 ...

Curt, what do you like about Helicon Filter 5 that you really want but can't get with Sagelight?

@ Cyberdiva
I know I'm not Curt  :)
but I would be tempted by the BDJ offer because Helicon Filter is:
much easier to use when you want to modify more than one image
has noise reduction
it's also probably much easier to use if you're a more basic user (but dont let that put you off if you're a more advanced user)

If I wanted to modify just a couple of images, especially if I really wanted to modify them as opposed to 'just' correcting the image, Sagelight would be my choice

hth, Tom
Tom

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Thanks very much, Curt and Tomos.  Tomos, I'm a pretty basic user, I think.  Curt, thanks for pointing out that there's a free version as well.  I've now downloaded both the free version and the one from BdJ.  Not sure which one I'll try first.  Ah, so many options, so little time.  :)