ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

auto email a list of folder contents - is there a util?

(1/2) > >>

nudone:
(i've got a sneaky feeling there must be a thread on the forum discussing this kind of thing already - but i can't find anything in the search.)

problem: i'm trying to keep track of a couple of computers (maybe more) that are miles apart. they have similar content on them - like video and music files but i quickly lose track of what is where; whether things are duplicated, deleted, unique, etc.

as they are media files i don't want to try and synchronise things using something like DropBox (video is way too big). so, i'd just like a list of the folder contents on each machine emailed to me in a quick and easy fashion...

e.g.
a util scans the folder each time the machine boots up and then creates a list in a txt file of the folder(s) contents. the list is then automatically emailed to me so i can check it against lists made from other machines using the same method.

or, the list is made and emailed whenever i run the util (so it doesn't have to do it each boot-up).

i'm sure there will be a util that does this - or maybe two that i can run together. maybe autohotkey is required but i'd like to know if there are any solutions currently available. or if there's a better way of what i'm trying to do - maybe DropBox can be used to save the lists in one place, therefore email is not required.

thanks.

skwire:
Honestly, this wouldn't take much at all using a AHK script along with Blat.  Let me know if can't get it working and I'll cobble it together for you.

nudone:
thank you very much for the offer, skwire. i've found something that should do the job: FileList found here (bottom of page): http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

i've had a quick test with it and it appears to work - i think that maybe i'll just have it output the list to a DropBox folder as then i don't require any extra utils.

i will, of course, take up your offer of an autohotkey script if this batch file util doesn't work as i hope it will.

(i will also have to play about with Blat as that still looks useful.)

nudone:
back again. just wanted to say that i think you've got an excellent list of progams on your Skwire Empire site; i'm going to give several a try later.

i found Zero Zipper of immediate interest. if that could be automated a little bit i'd find that more handy than the FileList method above. using the zero sized files contained in the zip(s), i could then do a comparison against the extracted contents using something like BeyondCompare, i.e. a zip made on one machine could be compared against a zip made on another machine - maybe i can do the same with the spreadsheets (never tried comparing such things).

skwire:
i found Zero Zipper of immediate interest. if that could be automated a little bit i'd find that more handy than the FileList method above. using the zero sized files contained in the zip(s), i could then do a comparison against the extracted contents using something like BeyondCompare-nudone (April 03, 2010, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Honestly, if you plan on using Beyond Compare, you may as well just compare simple text file listings.  No messing around with zip files and their extracted contents.  You know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version