ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Requests

<< < (5/9) > >>

Josh:
Don't require driver signing for 64bit versions!
-Eóin (April 02, 2010, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why would you even say that? It helps keep things stable. By requiring driver signing you force developers to certify their drivers.

Innuendo:
Why would you even say that? It helps keep things stable. By requiring driver signing you force developers to certify their drivers. -Josh (April 02, 2010, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

So very true! I wish MS had made this requirement long ago.

Eóin:
Ye serious? Truecrypt, Sandboxie, ImDisk Virtual Disk, and lord knows how many other excellent and often free opensource application currently have to pay at least $230/year just so people can use their products without resorting to dodgy hacks like Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider w/ Remove Watermark.

How does such a system ultimately benefit anyone but Microsoft's greed?

Josh:
When combined with WHQL certification, it benefits the end user by ensuring that the drivers meets a set of standards and won't crash a system due to poorly written code. It is designed to ensure you know where you are getting a driver from and that it is not some hacked driver. Yes, those programs might very well be decent and I use a couple of the, but they need to be signed and tested. This is not just to line Microsoft's pockets but to ensure the end users computer experience is a good one.

Eóin:
I realize dodgy drivers can wreak havoc on a system, but so can dodgy applications. If the requirement could either be turned off, or if the fee was within the afford ability of a hobby programmer I'd have no problem, but without those I see greed before the user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version