ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Requests

<< < (2/9) > >>

vegas:
My biggest complaint recently is the dismal file transfer speeds. It takes forever to copy/move files from one place to another! It shouldn't take 2 minutes to copy 50MB!
-Deozaan (April 02, 2010, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
that's got to be annoying. there's something weird going on with your machine - could it be related to the same problem vista had when it first came out? i never had the problem so i don't know what the solution was/is.

as for an "8" reqest: bring back the old xp taskbar (as an option) so i don't have to use several fixes and work arounds to get the same thing on "7". whoever designed the "7" taskbar obviously only runs a couple of programs at a time - or they just use their mac instead.
-nudone (April 02, 2010, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mind if I asked how you accomplished this?  I'm frustrated with what I see as a taskbar and tasktray in Windows 7 so far. Why does everything have to be so far spaced out. How bout any hacks to make the tasktray icons closer? Customize a StartButton Menu? Thx

nudone:
i'm a bit pushed for time at the moment, vegas so i can't double check what i'll post below. i'll try to do a more thorough list when i've time...

this one might have everything: http://www.tipandtrick.net/2009/windows-7-usage-guides-how-to-hacks-tips-and-tricks-complete-list/
more: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/31/never-combine-icons-or-only-combine-when-full-but-hide-labels-in-windows-7-taskbar/

there are more things stored in a folder i've got related to win7 which i'll have to go through later.

Shades:
If you like (some) of the look and feel from XP in Win7, visit this link for ClassicShell, which I am using myself.

From the website:
    * Brings back the classic start menu that Windows 7 doesn't support
    * Adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer
    * Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
    * Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
    * Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
    * Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
    * Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
    * Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
    * Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
    * Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
    * And last but not least – it's FREE!

--- End quote ---

4wd:
If you like (some) of the look and feel from XP in Win7, visit this link for ClassicShell, which I am using myself.-Shades (April 02, 2010, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since I'm in the UK and don't have access to W7 on my netbook can you please tell me if it passes this one simple test:

Does it work correctly with the Taskbar located on the sides of the Desktop as XP does?

Last time I tried it, it opened the menus from the bottom left no matter where the Taskbar was located which was extremely annoying.

Josh:
I also do not get sudden forced reboots in Windows 7. I get prompted to reboot but am in no way forced. Plus, a simple net stop "automatic updates" fixes that problem. I've actually gone for 3 weeks without rebooting after being prompted once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version