topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 8 Requests  (Read 25722 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8 Requests
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 05:58 PM »
When combined with WHQL certification, it benefits the end user by ensuring that the drivers meets a set of standards and won't crash a system due to poorly written code. It is designed to ensure you know where you are getting a driver from and that it is not some hacked driver. Yes, those programs might very well be decent and I use a couple of the, but they need to be signed and tested. This is not just to line Microsoft's pockets but to ensure the end users computer experience is a good one.

Until you download some certified nVidia drivers which try to fry your GPU. Or the stars line up in such a way you start to get strange behaviour with certain software, that despite your initial investigations turns out to be caused by a a random bug in a certified driver. The idea behind WHQL is sound, but the results are another thing, you can't get everything right with a open standard. Heck, not even with a closed one (see Apple products and current console systems).

I would really like to see a revamped notification system, with more flexibility to format the notifications (pictures, animation...), and more options for interaction. See Growl, the new notification system for Linux pioneered by Canonical, or systems used in 3rd party apps like PopUp+ in Miranda. Something better for program management than Aero Flip wouldn't hurt either. Finally, full and transparent program virtualization, so games can be run in future Windows OS without jumping through a thousand hoops.

Also, FFS, make Notepad detect other line endings than CR+LF.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I would really like to see a revamped notification system, with more flexibility to format the notifications (pictures, animation...), and more options for interaction. See Growl, the new notification system for Linux pioneered by Canonical, or systems used in 3rd party apps like PopUp+ in Miranda.

Growl for Windows already exists. It's just up to you/us to nag y/our favorite app developers till they support it.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 08:40 PM »
I agree driver signing can be useful, and is good for the average user, but the ability to turn it off easily for an advanced user is goooood (and important).

- Oshyan

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 01:37 AM »
I tried it in every position (ie bottom, top, left and right of the desktop) and all menus opened where they were clicked.

How fortunate that you have such long arms!  :up:
-cranioscopical (April 02, 2010, 12:43 PM)

;D

I use the sctrl in Farr for stopping reboot reminders... :Thmbsup:

InstantFundas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Instant Fundas
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 02:14 AM »
# An option to move programs folder, my documents, app folder etc to another drive during installation
# Ability to load windows from last hibernation file in the event of a crash.
Instant Fundas - Freeware reviews, Web Apps, Tech News

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 02:40 AM »
  • More flexibility in unattended setups
  • Modular install/ISO creation (think nLite/vLite but without the bugs and slowness)
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 09:38 AM »
# An option to move programs folder, my documents, app folder etc to another drive during installation
-InstantFundas (April 06, 2010, 02:14 AM)

Oh, I'd love this one. I don't store or install anything to my OS drive. Everything's on a different HD for easy re-install if necessary.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 02:02 AM »
Do all your programmes run smoothly installed away from OS Drive?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Also, FFS, make Notepad detect other line endings than CR+LF.

Now there's one I will happily 2nd! (Damn that's annoying)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Do all your programmes run smoothly installed away from OS Drive?

Yep...they sure do. I keep my OS on one drive/partition and all my installed programs & data on other drives/partitions. Everything runs as smooth as silk. I've been doing it this way since before Windows 95 & haven't run into any problems from doing it this way yet.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08 AM »
I'll try that next time! Where is your Docs and Settings as mine won't be moved! ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05 AM »
I'll try that next time! Where is your Docs and Settings as mine won't be moved! ;D

I move nearly everything that is in C:\Users\Innuendo over to D:\Data and Settings\. Music & Pictures are such huge folders, though, they have separate locations.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Give me back my tiny disappearing taskbar - that I don't use anyway. Stop finding ways to take up more and more of my screen.  Offer a stand-alone - no networking - version so I don't have to spend time shutting down services that only bloat my system for no reason. Allow me to keep using applications that were written for XP without having to resort to "virtual" anything. Give me a way to rid myself of any ribbon that shows its overlarge face. Give all of us free rein to customize any way and anything we like. Charge me $100.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Don't require driver signing for 64bit versions!

I second this! My motherboard is a bit old and there is no signed driver for the onboard LAN adapter. So I can't even use my LAN in 64-bit Windows.

It's weird because it gives me the option to install the driver even though it isn't signed, but the hardware won't run because the drivers aren't signed. How stupid is that? My hardware is gimped because Microsoft wants a signature. How about they let me, as an advanced setting for someone who understands the consequences, override the requirement for signed drivers so I can get my LAN to work.

My biggest complaint recently is the dismal file transfer speeds. It takes forever to copy/move files from one place to another! It shouldn't take 2 minutes to copy 50MB!

I may have been exaggerating the slowness a bit. Or I may have been talking about transferring over a LAN, or copying from out of a zipped archive, or from a USB thumbdrive or any combination of things that could cause it to go slow.

It seems that when I copy from drive to drive it goes at about 20MiB/s but when copying to a USB thumb drive, I get about 2-4 MiB/s transfer speeds. Which means copying over 6 GiB worth of data takes almost 20 minutes. :down: I could probably burn three 4.7 GiB DVDs in that same amount of time.

TeraCopy does seem to make a difference. Resulting in about 8-11 Mib/s transfer speeds to USB. :up: Thanks for letting me know about it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Heh, heh - after contradicting you here, I've noticed that file copying with Windows 7 when Teracopy ISN'T enabled DOES take a long, long time  >:(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51 PM »
btw the 8 forums is already getting geared up, getting the bugs out of the board:

http://www.eightforums.com/