ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Sharkoon USB 3.0 QuickPort Dock

<< < (5/6) > >>

cranioscopical:
Nice to see a man having fun with his toys  :)

I've managed to curb the urge to run out and get some. I'll play vicariously, with your help.

MilesAhead:
Nice to see a man having fun with his toys  :)

I've managed to curb the urge to run out and get some. I'll play vicariously, with your help.
-cranioscopical (April 07, 2010, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I feel the same way every time I see a guy drive by in one of those Italian sports cars.  :)

Right now just tapping my finger waiting for the delivery van.

edit: got the 2nd one set up.  Everything is pretty much as expected.  Doesn't seem to bog at all copying from one dock to the other through the ports on the same card.  The speed is more dependent on what HDs you happen to have in the docks.

cranioscopical:
got the 2nd one set up.  Everything is pretty much as expected.  Doesn't seem to bog at all copying from one dock to the other through the ports on the same card.  The speed is more dependent on what HDs you happen to have in the docks.
-MilesAhead (April 08, 2010, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice when something works out as well as you hoped, or even a little better  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Yeah, this was a good move.  Makes using this quad core fun again. :)

MilesAhead:
btw if anyone is considering these USB 3.0 docks, the longer I use them the more I wish I got the SIIG USB 3.0 station with fan right off.  The Sharkoon method of cooling is allowing the drive to spin down from idle time out.  The SIIG just seems better quality.  The power switch feels like a much more positive action.  The HD in the dock is blood warm but not hot to the touch.

If you leave a performance drive like WD Caviar Black spun up in the Sharkoon docks they get quite hot.  Ok maybe for watching TV for a few hours but to leave spun up all the time on your PC is not such a great idea.

I ordered another SIIG.  Granted the power consumption is a bit greater but it just seems like a better design.  No moving parts other than the fan and power switch(no eject button etc..)

I can leave the HD running overnight and it's not hot, whereas the Sharkoon the drive is hot to the touch and I get a bit of that electronics smell that tells me the operating temperature is not ideal.

Live and learn. :)

edit: btw I don't know if it's hype but they are hinting at buy.com that stocks are running low.  Currently you can get an SIIG USB 3.0 superspeed dock with fan for about $57 with 2 day shipping.  That's the best price I've found. Plus with the 2 day shipping you get Saturday delivery rather than it sitting on the truck if the weekend happens to intervene.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version