ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Sharkoon USB 3.0 QuickPort Dock

<< < (4/6) > >>

Shades:
CAD can be very expensive, easily rivaling or surpassing Gaming. Have you seen the prices nowadays for the FirePro (ATI) range of videocards?   

Here in Ciudad del Este (a border city between Paraguay and Brazil) you can buy new computer gear for cheap to reasonable prices. But still, for the price of one of these FirePro video cards alone I can buy a very decent and complete Gaming rig. I assume that this situation is the same all over the globe.

Note:
As an ATI fanboy I could not be bothered to look up similar type of videocards from different manufacturers like NVidea, Matrox etc.

JavaJones:
I agree, anything that "requires" a workstation-level graphics card (and CAD is one of the few apps that technically benefits significantly from it) is going to hurt the wallet a lot more than a nice games machine. The absolute top of the line gaming card available right now, the Radeon 5970, is about $700 (and is out of stock everywhere :D). That card will get you about a zillion frames per second in just about any game today, as long as you have a decent CPU (e.g. Core 2 Duo above 3Ghz or i7 920/860 at least). By comparison the top of the line workstation card the Quadro FX 5800 (nvidia) is $3000 and yet 2 or 3 generations older than the 5970. It's not great for games, but it'll antialiasing the crap out of your CAD lines. ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133253

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
By comparison the top of the line workstation card the Quadro FX 5800 (nvidia) is $3000 and yet 2 or 3 generations older than the 5970.-JavaJones (April 04, 2010, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Remember the good ole days when a hacked driver would turn your Geforce card into a Quadro?  :)

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm, this setup is working better than I expected so far.  When I ran Crystal Disk Mark on the partition at the front of the WD 750 GB Caviar Black 32 MB cache, it showed sequential read/write of 103 MB/sec.

It will be interesting to see how it functions with 2 docks.  I should have the new hw by Thursday.

MilesAhead:
I got the WD 640 GB Caviar Black 64 MB cache.  Initial benchmark in the Sharkoon with Crystal Disk Mark shows sequential read/write scores in the mid 130s MB/sec.  Still waiting on the 2nd Sharkoon.  It will be interesting to see how the SIIG card handles 2 USB 3.0 docks simultaneously.

I'm doing a slow format on it the HD now.  The next video muxing job should be fun with this as the source drive! It seems to read a tad faster than write.  My internal drive may need to be defragged just to keep it fed though.  That's more likely the reason for the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version