ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

First iPad Reviews Are In

<< < (5/12) > >>

Darwin:
Oh yeah, I was so glad to see Will It Blend is still on the ball. :D I wasn't sure what he was going to do with it at first since it doesn't fit, so what came next was a bit of a shock, but oddly satisfying. :P

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (April 05, 2010, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed...

superboyac:
Over at boingboing Cory Doctorow has a nice little essay that pretty much sums up for me exactly what the problem is with a company like Apple and the entire idea behind a product like the iPad.

Well worth a look if you're interested in reading an unusually sane analysis of why the iPad represents a colossal step backwards rather than forward as far as the web and mediaspace are concerned.

Link:  http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html
-40hz (April 03, 2010, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice 40hz.  Even though it's not related to the article, this is my favorite part:
So what does Marvel do to "enhance" its comics? They take away the right to give, sell or loan your comics. What an improvement. Way to take the joyous, marvellous sharing and bonding experience of comic reading and turn it into a passive, lonely undertaking that isolates, rather than unites. Nice one, Misney.
--- End quote ---
This is something that I actually discuss often with my friend.

JavaJones:
Meanwhile competition is stiff:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/icds-tegra-2-powered-gemini-is-the-most-feature-complete-tablet/
I wonder about weight with that one...

- Oshyan

Darwin:
Looks interesting, Oshyan. The more I think I'm following the technology and keeping up with it all, the more unrealistic that goal seems to be! I'm getting ready to go look at the Aluratek Libre - $169 locally - because I'll be old a grey before I get to read an ebook on a portable device otherwise! If the Aluratek doesn't "do it" for me, I may just jump at the Sony Touch Reader, which is on sale for $299. I'm fed up of waiting - I have literally 100's of unread books on my computer because I simply can't read them that way. Never mind the academic papers - 10's of 1000's of them... Of course, now that I've ditched my PhD, does it really matter? Oddly, it does, for reasons I can't give voice to...

40hz:
One thing I find hysterical.

I'm noticing that more than a few apps that used to cost $1 to $5 back in March 2010 are now priced between $10 and $15 if they also run on the iPad.

And from the screen shots and descriptions, they're the same bloody apps they were before!  :-\

It would be bad enough if they were just jamming the iPad early adopters. Unfortunately, the pricing increases also appear to apply to the iPhone 'versions' as well. Gotta love that...

Reminds me of a place I used to get coffee from. One day they brought in an expresso machine. It was one of those big-ass copper jobs that can generate enough steam to power a medium size freight train. After they got it all set up and sussed out they started selling cappuccinos and lattes for about $4.50 a pop.

That didn't bug me. But what did was when they jacked the price on their regular "extra large" coffee from $2 to $3.55

When I asked why their prices went up so much they told me that not enough people were buying lattes and they needed to "do something" to cover the cost of the new expresso machine.

I wonder if something like that is what's going on over at the App Store...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version