topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Yay, Upgrade time! - Inspire me with hardware I can buy =-D  (Read 20051 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yay, Upgrade time! - Inspire me with hardware I can buy =-D
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 12:10 PM »
AS5 will do you fine. The only people who should care about the differences are overclockers.

- Oshyan

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 12:22 PM »
That's what I thought... but this time I went on newegg and looked up arctic silver and got more than a page of hits, so I felt a bit overwhelmed :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Forget about arctic silver, just use whatever thermal pad comes with the stock heatsink - really, you're not going to be able to measure a difference. The biggest benefit AS had was that it's electrically conductive and thus could fry the AMD CPUs that came without heatspreaders.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Not sure but I think the warranty that comes with most CPUs is dependent on using the stock pad if you buy a retail package.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Yeah, but I've had a bad experience with stock fans/pads... so I'm waffling on which to use.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 11:54 AM »
One more question-

The combo with this motherboard, http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16813131622, includes DDR2 800 memory.  The motherboard says DDR3 in the specs- but I'm assuming it will take DDR2 800 memory?

UPDATE: Nevermind... I see now.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:34 PM by wraith808 »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 05:11 AM »
Yeah, but I've had a bad experience with stock fans/pads... so I'm waffling on which to use.

I've always just used the stock gunk that comes on the heatsink.  The only times I've used something different is when I've removed the heatsink to put a different one on or move the CPU to another board.

In those cases I've used some silicon based heatsink compound I got from Tandy approximately 25-30 years ago for electronics.....and it finally ran out a couple of months ago......Damn it!  Anyway, never noticed any difference between it and the stock gunk.

Still, 25-30 years - not bad for a 15g tube :)

And now it's on to the silicon based compound I got with an electronic kit only 15 years ago :P

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 03:29 PM »

I think what I usually use is Ceramique. It's got none of the electrically conducive properties that AS has that f0dder described & yet it does have superior cooling properties. My friend was amazed when I took some over for his last computer build. He looked at me like I had two heads when I explained the instructions specifically stated that after applying the compound to wipe it off with a paper towel. (Yeah, that's right...there's only supposed to be enough of this stuff applied to fill the pits & grooves on the top of the processor). He was amazed when the PC was powered up & it stayed just as cool or cooler than anything else he had used.

Yeah...you can use the stock stuff & it's good enough for regular use, but if you are going to overclock I say spending the $5-9 on a tube of premium compound is cheap insurance to protect a $200+ CPU.

ipman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21 AM »
I am dreaming of PC without coolers and probably with CULV processors.

The most annoying thing when you write your code during night is the noise of CPU/GPU coolers.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 11:57 AM »
If you want a quiet system, without fans, you can go crazy and get water cooling or something. But I think another thread in discussion here might have just the ticket, which is lower power systems that don't even need active cooling: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=22270.0 The fit-PC2 should be particularly interesting.

- Oshyan

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 09:14 AM »
If you want a quiet system, without fans, you can go crazy and get water cooling or something.

And if you want to go beyond crazy and get into insane cooling you could always build one of those PC systems submerged in liquid.  8)

In other news, my odyssey of discovery is coming to an end. Finally all the components I have meticulously researched have arrived & I will be building my new system today.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 09:34 AM »
In other news, my odyssey of discovery is coming to an end. Finally all the components I have meticulously researched have arrived & I will be building my new system today.

Have fun!  I already built my daughter's (I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that pink case for her... they mounted the DVD vertically which has caused all sorts of problems), and will be upgrading mine and building my wife's tomorrow or saturday...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Have fun!  I already built my daughter's (I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that pink case for her... they mounted the DVD vertically which has caused all sorts of problems), and will be upgrading mine and building my wife's tomorrow or saturday...

Built my PC this morning and have been taking my time putting back on all my software all day. Lots of downloading, though, as my old system was 5 years old and now that I have a 64-bit OS I'm having to download the x64 version of software.