ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AutoIt3 versus AutoHotKey

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
Amadawn. i'm happy to host any such files; you can send it to me at [email protected].
and anyone who would like to make available scripts or programs and stuff that they've written on a regular basis just contact me about making you a lttle webspace with ftp access so you can share your stuff with the world.
or you can always just attach it to a thread post and it will be available to everyone that way :)

Edvard:
I used AI3 for a while, and thought it was great. Basic-like syntax hit a soft spot with me, and I could do useful things without doing bat-file gymnastics. Then I saw Skrommel doing all these nifty things with AHK in the Coding Snacks and decided to check it out. Classic case of "use what works for you":
 I needed some (well, more than a few...) scripts to do loops in folders for counting, deleting temp files, processing graphics, etc., and found that making loops that worked like I wanted with AI3 was quite difficult. I had to ask in the forum how to do it and got an answer fairly quickly. However, it ended up being rather complex and the syntax not exactly how it was described in the help file. I had to keep that around as a code scrap for recycling in other scripts. Then I found out that AHK does loops MUCH easier and with more functionality, so I switched. I am pretty sure there are more advanced things that can be done in AI3, but it just isn't what I needed. YMMV.

AbteriX:
Thanks, such examples helps to differ both. (btw i have both tools on my disc and play around with both, since i am no programmer i don't know what is better above the other. But that is no really matter. If one works it's OK, if the other do what i suggest he should do, it's OK too.)

Josh:
GPIB Huh? Do you deal with satellite commo by chance? My job in the army deals with lots of spec any's o-scopes, Scalar Network Analyzers, Signal Sweep Gens, etc. Perhaps you could pm me a link to your library.

Amadawn:
GPIB Huh? Do you deal with satellite commo by chance? My job in the army deals with lots of spec any's o-scopes, Scalar Network Analyzers, Signal Sweep Gens, etc. Perhaps you could pm me a link to your library.
--- End quote ---

I am a Telecommunications System Engineer, working on 3G wireless algorithms, but I've done a lot of automated system testing as well. I normally would use LabWindows/CVI but for smaller projects I wanted to use AutoIt3, and that is why I made my little VISA library.

The VISA/GPIB library that I made is integrated with the current release of AutoIt3. That is, you just need to download and install AutoIt3 and use the library functions on your scripts (which you can compile).

The library is based on VISA and I've only tested with National Instruments GPIB cards (but I would expect it to work with HPIB cards as well, as long as they come with VISA drivers).

To find out which functions are available open the AutoIt3 helpfile and search for VISA or for _viExecCommand (which is the main GPIB/VISA function). I've tried to be pretty thourough on the documentation so I hope you will not have many problems using it.

In particular, the help for the _viExecCommand command contains a pretty simple but clear (I hope!) example at the end of the help entry which should get you up and running in no time. If you have any problems just PM OK? I'd love to hear if you've successfully used it (I know of others that have and have told me so on the AutoIt forums).

Cheers!

Angel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version