topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Simple CRM and biz management tool for a small business?  (Read 23119 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple CRM and biz management tool for a small business?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 08:32 PM »
perhaps it makes sense to create a public Redmine project instance so we can all collaborate on research, discussion, and planning...

I'm willing to participate. Bare in mind that I'm not real coder -- I know IQ very well though and can script if necessary.

[/quote]
They go the route of "this is the way to do things for this industry", which as I said above could be a good thing, *but* they frankly appear to be too rigid in certain areas, basically requiring you buy into their solution end-to-end, or go with specific vendors, etc.

Exactly. And I find that it's good to have some flexibility and be able to adjust the product as needs arise.

Before we go too far, have you looked into existing software packages to see if there might already be something that does the job and is affordable for them?

I suggest that you take a look at an online solution.  I serve on the board of a small nonprofit and did a search for them to address what sounds like similar problems.  I was quite impressed with Zoho's CRM solution.  They haven't yet chosen to put it into play so I cannot testify to how well it works in practice, but my test drive (free) impressed me.  It's free for three users and $12/user/month above that:  ZohoCRM Pricing.

These are important considerations... and this is what I'm about to do myself : see what the current solutions look like and then try to build a similar solution with IQ. The Zoho CRM seems like a good starting point as far as features are concerned.

Then there's the pricing. For Zoho At 12$/month, this is 144$ per user each year (Professional edition). I wonder how that would compare against something like IQ + taking into account the time to customize the interface, DB, etc.
From the website, it would be something like 200$ for 3 licenses (3-license pack for the price of a regular license) -- that's cheaper than zoho for sure... But doesn't take into account any customization time.

In any case... I'll wait for the next posts here.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 08:45 PM »
If someone designed a functional CRM solution using IQ and were willing to share it with me and/or the community, they would definitely get 3 free IQ licenses, especially if coming from such a friendly group as DC is.  :-*

Afterall, the now relatively quiet InfoQube thread, is 47 pages long... and many improvements to InfoQube were suggestions from DonationCoders.  :Thmbsup:
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

pfflyer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Recommended Web Tools
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 09:00 PM »
I would echo AEnginner's recommendation about Zoho CRM.  I have just begun to dabble with it. BUt it just might do the trick for you.
I write and maintain Recommended Web Tools, a website for web development and design beginners. I write about a variety of <a href="http://www.recommendedwebtools.com">web tools</a> and am continually adding to my "recommended" list.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 10:29 PM »
More great suggestions and discussion. Funny, I love(d) Zoho's applications but had forgotten they had a CRM option, and of course it's probably evolved since I last tried it. I'll definitely give it a whirl. Whether it's Zoho or not I would definitely prefer it to be some kind of online option rather than desktop install (this counts against IQ, at least as a sole solution). The reasons for this are many, but chief among them is access anywhere and data interchange.

Anyway, plenty more research to do. :D

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Bare in mind that I'm not real coder --

Hey, that makes two of us! :Thmbsup:

We can keep each other company if they put us at the table with the unattractive single cousins over by the kitchen door. >:D

--------------

Jeff-Goldblum-Independence-Day.jpg

David Levinson: You really think you can fly that thing?

Capt. Hiller: You really think you can do all that bullshit you just said?

8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:06 PM by 40hz »

wallee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 09:30 PM »
"what they need is a simple, easy to use system for managing customer relationships, sales, simple marketing efforts, appointments and tasks, etc.."

A web based application you should look at is Relenta (http://www.relenta.com)

The developer (Dmitri Eroshenko) has put together a useful set of tools for businesses.
CRM, Autoresponder, e-mail marketing.

I have used it for over a year (I have tested other during this same period and always come back to Relenta.)

Wallee
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion wallee. That looks very promising indeed. I'll comment further when I've had a chance evaluate it.

- Oshyan

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 04:24 AM »
I had the same requirements. First tried SugarCRM, but found too many bugs. Then switched to vtiger. vtiger uses the same engine as SugarCRM, but its interface and features are much easier to get used to.

I am extremely pleased with vtiger. vtiger is 100% open source and free (as in free beer), all you need is a server running Linux or Windows with a recent php and mysql version installed. Just dump the files to your server, follow the instructions and get full web access.

You can access their live demo here (admin/admin).

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7411/ss20100411111711.jpg
Simple CRM and biz management tool for a small business?

wallee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27 AM »
ppass

Are you running vtiger on your own server or shared hosting account?

Wallee
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26 PM »
On a shared hosting account.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Yeah, vtiger is definitely on my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

- Oshyan