topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Simple CRM and biz management tool for a small business?  (Read 23245 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello mighty DonationCoder community! I beseech you to turn your powerful and all knowing gaze toward this simple problem which presently confounds me.

I find myself the sole, voluntary IT support for a friend's small business, a simple 2 person floral design studio and flower shop. They mostly do weddings and corporate clients, with infrequent in-person sales, and so far no online sales. They use Quickbooks Pro 2010 and have 1 desktop and 1 laptop system they use for all their work, both running Windows 7.

When a previous laptop recently crashed, I found myself waste-deep in a tangle of horribly organized documents and inconsistent business practices while recovering their data. I felt I had to do something about this. So, what they need is a simple, easy to use system for managing customer relationships, sales, simple marketing efforts, appointments and tasks, etc.. Preferably the system should have all those parts integrated, and also integrate with their existing Quickbooks data. Ideally it would also be relatively inexpensive as they are a small business without much money to spend at the moment; in fact they're in a bit of a financial pickle, though they're managing to stay afloat. They desperately need more customers though and providing tools to let them more easily run marketing campaigns is a part of this whole project.

So far I have spent a lot of time looking at dedicated CRM applications and systems like SalesForce, SugarCRM, etc. I've also looked at separate components like Google Apps for contacts, docs, and calendaring, mailing list tools for marketing, etc. The problem with the full-blown CRM systems is they seem way too complicated. They need something that replaces a bunch of separate Word and Excel docs in a unified system (e.g. imagine trying to search for past customer transaction info if your receipts are all separate Word docs, many of which have different formatting). So the Google Docs approach is also non-ideal. It solves some of the problems, but doesn't really focus on customer relationship management at all. They'll be using Gmail and Google Calendar regardless, but as far as building a customer database with good info, and then leveraging that database for ongoing marketing, they're lost with current tools. Ideally it *would* be an online tool like this so they could access it anywhere, even from a mobile device (the manager has a Blackberry), but a desktop Windows app would suffice if price and features were a better fit. They have web hosting and I can install any web apps for them.

In searching for something that could work for them it really struck me how difficult the world of the small business owner is, especially if they're not super technically minded. They are in a strange limbo world where they're big enough to want dedicated tools to keep them organized and, especially, to help them *grow* their business. At the same time they're not big enough or technically savvy enough to really make use of something like SalesForce or other complex CRM packages, nor can they necessarily afford the versions they might need. Just as an example, they want to start email marketing, which seems like a virtually essential thing these days. The version of SalesForce that has this integrated is $65/mo per user (potentially $130/mo if they both need access), which seems like relatively small potatoes I admit, but is still a lot considering what they're doing now is free. ;)

I'm willing to try to sell them on the financial benefits of better organization and marketing tools (if they get just 1 additional customer from it, it could arguably pay for itself). Still they are somewhat in a panicky state as far as finances go right now, as I mentioned.

Any help and info greatly appreciated!

- Oshyan

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple CRM and biz management tool for a small business?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:02 PM »
SugarCRM is a great platform, and doesnt take too long to get to grips with, dunno if it supports Quickbooks though, but a day or so manually entering them aint such a big deal.

Thats about the best advice I can give you as i have personally been hunting for a good, lighweight one, where i can choose which options to install, and which to hide :P

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Well I'm thinking more and more there may be a big opportunity here to provide such a tool to small business owners. Most of the systems I see, even if they're functional for small businesses, are marketed so clearly above them that they're not relevant anyway. I'll keep looking, but if I don't find something soon it's going on my list of stuff to develop. ;)

As for SugarCRM, if it can be slimmmed down so as not to overwhelm these guys, then that's good. I'll look at it further. I think there are some options for Quickbooks sync. It's not so much the one-time syncing as the regular, daily or weekly syncing that is a problem. You do want to keep them in alignment. Now if there are web store systems that integrate with Sugar...

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59 PM »
I think their biggest challenge is going to be in getting what they have (and what they're doing) better organized. Until they've gotten their business processes 'rationalized,' a CRM is only going to make things worse by adding an additional layer of complexity to what is basically a mess.

First thing they need to do is sit down and set up a process and establish some procedures before they go much further. A long weekend is ideal for this sort of thing. Then, once they have this framework in place, they're going to have to make a conscious effort to stick to it. It will take about a month to learn the new habit.

Just my :two: having been in that boat with my own business once.  ;D

As far as CRM goes, it is pretty much overkill for any company with less than five employees.  Unfortunately, what you're looking to do also goes beyond the capabilities of most PIMs.

Luckily,  there is a group of programs that fills the gap between PIMs and traditional CRMs. These are the so-called "small CRMs" or "advanced contact manager" apps.

The one my company used to use was a product called Maximizer ( www.maximizer.com ) and I was generally quite pleased with how it worked. Maximizer has since gone on to version 10 and added a number of features such as integration with Quickbooks and MS Office, along with support for mobile devices. They now have an "Entrepreneur Edition" specifically geared towards solo practitioner and small businesses. Might be worth a look.

There's a bit of a learning curve with a product like Maximizer, but that's to be expected since running a business isn't a trivial task either. And again, it's a matter of practice until new behaviors become habits.

:Thmbsup:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:39 AM »
Great input 40hz, once again. I will say though that my hope is a CRM-type app would *enforce* an organizational scheme on them. I just want it to be one that's easy to learn and adapt to, and sensible for their business. I honestly don't expect them to be able to organize their business better without a tool, they're just too scattered. They have adapted to the limitations (and capabilities) of their tools in the past and I think they can do it again. Now I just need to find the right tool. I will definitely check out Maximizer. Do you know where I might find other options for such "small CRM/advanced contact manager" apps? e.g. a Wikipedia comparison matrix or something?

Where are you located btw?

- Oshyan

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Well, Maximizer looks promising, but really not much more so than e.g. SugarCRM, and it now bills itself as a "CRM" product anyway (with a feature set and UI that seems to match that description). Cost is fine for the Entrepreneur version, but unfortunately like almost all these programs, for some reason they only include mass mailing in the higher-level packages. This kind of marketing tool is becoming so vital for every business these days, that I think it is pretty unfortunate not to at least offer it as an optional add-in for the lower-end versions. Everyone seems to bundle it with their higher level product tiers which do have lots of features a small business *won't* need. But emailing is definitely something many will need, so I don't get why it's shoved into the higher level packages, unless it's just to get the small businesses to pony up for the more expensive versions. The problem with that is it also comes with added and unwanted complexity...

*sigh*

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30 AM »
For e-mail mass mailing they'd probably bebetter off using a web service to start. They're very affordable and have the added benefit of helping you not run afoul of the CAN-SPAM act. These services also actively make sure their servers stay whitelisted so corporate sites, GMail, AOL, and Hotmail don't automatically flag them as spam. Many also have excellent "campaign" tracking and analysis tools to help gauge how effective your marketing efforts are.  iContact is one well regarded service, but there are many others that are also good. A quick Google will point you to dozens more.

Almost forgot to also suggest looking at Sharkware. If you're a fan of Harvey Mackay's customer service and marketing concepts you'll feel right at home with this product. It's been around for years. Sharkware focuses more on the relationship management and activity tracking part of the equation, but it's an excellent "core" app. This is what I used when I started out consulting. (I was running WFWG at that point in time. Like I said: around for years) The only reason I dropped it was because development had stalled (ok -more like stopped) for a long time and I got nervous enough that I went over to Maximizer. Sharkware has since come back (I believe it's a new company that took it over. )

A free trial is available for download so you could give it a run to see if it meets your needs without having to buy a copy.

www.sharkware.org
 :)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:11 AM by 40hz »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I found a free CRM awhile back when I was doing some research to find a free one for someone. Don't know if it is quite what you are looking for or could be adapted to your needs.

I posted about it here.

Cream
A free, open-source CRM for media organizations
Cream is a multilingual customer relationship management (CRM) system for media organizations that features powerful modules for sales automation, customer service, subscription management, incoming and outgoing email, template-based HTML newsletters, and a WYSIWYG editor.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I found a free CRM awhile back when I was doing some research to find a free one for someone. Don't know if it is quite what you are looking for or could be adapted to your needs.

I posted about it here.

Nice find app! I knew about Campcaster from a seminar on webcasting.  But I didn't know these people had other software too.

:Thmbsup:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for the continued input. App, the included mailing tools of the Cream CRM you mentioned in that post look promising. Good recommendation.

40hz, I'm very familiar with dedicated mailing solutions (and I found iContact to be rather crappy honestly, but none of the several big ones I've tried have impressed me actually), but there are a number of problems with them, especially for this level of user, that I think recommends against them in this case.

The biggest hurdle is data exchange. There is the obvious problem of getting your contacts out of the CRM and into your mailing tool. No problem, CSV export, right? Sure, maybe they can be trained to do this. But my experience with dedicated mailing tools shows that dealing with multiple lists (e.g. individual exports for different client segments, or just different mailings) can be confusing, especially when the lists are derived from imported files. Maintaining them over the long-term becomes a hassle. This vs. just having mailing integrated with your CRM, where you can click one button or do a quick search, find all "Corporate Clients" and generate an email to them easily.

Even worse, if you want to correlate any of the mailing list tracking data with info in your CRM, it needs to be done manually, which is tedious and error prone. Not to mention returning e.g. bounced email addresses, unsubscribes, etc. to your CRM so the info is updated properly. For example let's say you use your CRM tool, either on its own or connected to a dedicated email tool, to send other customer communication. So you send out an email using a separate tool, 50 of your 1000 addresses bounce. Now you have to export those addresses, then find a way to import them into your CRM in such a way that they are removed or marked as "bad" addresses. A tool with this kind of functionality built in to the CRM system would make this a lot easier, turning something that is basically not feasible for the average business owner to do into something that's automated and fairly simple. So again, if a tool like this doesn't exist, it damn well should.

I can hear you saying it now "If they can't be trained to do simple CSV export/import, what makes you think they can learn to use a CRM?", but speaking from experience it's never as simple as that, and it never ends there. Maybe they can be trained to do some data import/export, but the tools will never be fully utilized that way. There's no good reason a mailing list system can't be well integrated into a CRM tool (and many such tools seem to have them, just in the higher end versions).

Not to mention that most mailing list tools are going to be an additional monthly fee, something I'd like to avoid if possible. I can use something like PHPList, DadaMail, or another self-hosted tool, but the data interchange issues remain. Whether or not the supposed deliverability advantages of large providers are real is questionable to me as well from personal experience with a list of around 15,000 subscribers. It's probably irrelevant anyway as the business in question would have such a small list that it's unlikely to trigger spam filters just from sheer volume.

All that being said again I really appreciate the suggestions and input. I'm just surprised a more streamlined solution doesn't exist for this level of business.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I can hear you saying it now "If they can't be trained to do simple CSV export/import, what makes you think they can learn to use a CRM?", but speaking from experience it's never as simple as that, and it never ends there.

Nope! That's the absolute last thing you'd ever hear me say.

That's tantamount to blaming the victims as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, if this were all as intuitive as most people would hope it to be, about a fifth of the people who frequent DonationCoder would be out of business tomorrow morning!

Seriously though, you have a very valid point. Most of this is more complex than it might be.

So... maybe it is high time for "somebody" to really do up a well thought out CRM/general management solution for small business. Still, I don't know how well that would work out since individual business requirements would vary widely enough in their respective markets that I doubt an absolute one-size solution is viable. The one word that doesn't ever seem to apply to small businesses is the word 'general.'

Then there's development costs. How you could earn enough money to continue developing something like this is anybody's guess. Especially since small businesses are notoriously tight with their cash even on those rare occasions when they actually do have some to spend.

Maybe that's why the "vertical application" market is made up of so many small software/consulting firms catering to very narrowly defined industry segments?

"It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes."  as Sherlock Holmes would say.

Note: I didn't find any of the mail services I've used to be particularly crappy. More like some of them didn't work "correctly" (as in: the way 40hz thought they should work).

But that's a topic for another day. ;D

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:52 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective on the problem, and that you see the complexities and challenge here. I agree that on both sides of your point that perhaps there is an opportunity here to develop software to fit this niche, yet at the same time many businesses need different workflows. That being said, two thoughts occur to me on that.

First, at least in the case of this flower shop and, I'd wager, many other very small businesses (that are nonetheless needing or at least wanting to start using more advanced tools to help them focus on the really important and unique parts of their business), it seems very probably that they could be made to adapt to a certain approach to their business flow, provided it was clear and simple to use. If a static approach provides enough other benefits (e.g. universal data synchronization, workflow automation, etc.), then it can still be embraced despite requiring changes to existing work processes. And I realize in fact that many businesses do adjust how they do things to fit existing solutions when they see that solution as "the" way to do things, for example Quickbooks. While it's a somewhat flexible tool, it still enforces certain ways of doing things (partly for legal reasons, partly just because it has its particular approach to things). I've heard many times from small businesses owners "Well we do that because that's how Quickbooks codes it" or whatever. Probably that rings a bell for you too. Even if it's not Quickbooks, it's *something*. So arbitrary constraints can be adapted to provided sufficient incentive.

The second thought that occurs to me is some kind of easily and fully customizable system might be used by IT consultants to make a custom(ish) solution, but without breaking the bank. If you want a custom solution from any of the major CRM manufacturers, it is usually major money. An open source customizable solution that could be setup by a competent IT person and not require any significant new coding to establish e.g. a particular workflow, or change the names of primary fields, or whatever, could cost small business owners far less. If it was done right, with lots of modular bits and plugins, all of which could still be updated easily through a central update system (think Linux package manager, or Ruby Gems or similar), it might be a very functional solution, allowing reasonable customization by non-coders (still requiring "experts", but at a much lower and less costly level), maintaining ease of upgrade, and getting people the functionality they need.

I think though that the first approach is really the most practical and I'm quite interested in considering it further. I still maintain hope that someone out there has made the defacto "This is the best way to organize your business, and our tool makes doing so very easy so use it!" system and we can just buy it, I can train them, and then they'll be off and running. I'm quite sure if I gave them a system that allowed them to manage all their contacts, accounts, associated tasks and documents, was accessible from the web remotely, from their blackberry, and integrated/synced with their web store and Quickbooks, they'd be happy to take some time to learn how it worked. They might occasionally curse the rigidity of the system, but 90% of the time it'd be making their work faster and easier.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Sounds like it's time for you to generate a formal requirements document for yourself.

Grab a pen and start listing everything you (and your friends) can think of that you'd want this digital wunderkind to do.

And don't skimp. Ask for everything you can think of up front. You can always cut it back a little later. (And you will cut it back once it gets to the design and implementation or 'purchase decision' phase. Oh my, yes...) But that all comes later. Now is the time to dream.

So let's think big!

Got the list? OK, now do some logical task subgroupings, and ideally rank the list into three categories:

1) Must have
2) Should have
3) Nice to have

From this document you can either move on to designing and coding your own; or finding an existing product that most closely matches your requirements.

Fun stuff! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:21 PM by 40hz »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Yeah, if I want to do it *right*. But who wants to bother with that? :P

Honestly I think I'll know it if I see it (and I admit that may sound a bit presumptuous). So for now mostly what I'm doing is looking for general CRM tools and then checking feature list, followed by screenshots or demo videos (if available), followed by actual functional demos (again, if available). So far nothing has made it past stage 3 intact, hehe.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Honestly I think I'll know it if I see it (and I admit that may sound a bit presumptuous).

Maybe...

Then again, that very same approach worked for me when I first met my GF - so far be it from me to criticize... :P

Keep us posted on what you find! :Thmbsup:

-----------------------

* "Why is there never enough time to do something right - but an unlimited amount of time to do something over?"

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Hehe, I like your footnote. ;)

Yes, I shall definitely keep you guys apprised of my progress. Here's a great list that I am working through:
http://itmanagement....-for-Enterprises.htm
More CRM suggestions, especially more simple UI ones, would be appreciated of course.

- Oshyan

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Hi Oshyan (and 40Hz),

I'm following this thread with interest.
Among my different projects, I'm planing to build an "Accounting/CRM InfoQube".... I'd like to work on it soon and am planing to [ask for] an accountant's help for that endeavor (my own brother actually...  :P).

It seems to me that InfoQube has all the components that a good CRM / accounting app should have (with gantt charts, calendars, tasks management, links, outline, graphs, etc.).

Now, the idea is to put all that the "requirements" together, and... with some scripting magic, there you go.  A bit selfishly maybe, I like 40Hz idea of a "requirement list".

Needless to say, I'd be very interested in what features exactly would you like to have in such an app.

[Edit : you could also do something like that your self : use IQ as a base and build your CRM on top of it. I'm sure it'd be cheaper and probably more powerful -- and more expandable... -- than most other options out there]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:11 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Just another thought : older versions of IQ have been sold to enterprises in the past to do exactly that kind of CRM stuff.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Interesting news Armando. You can bet that I have been looking at InfoQube as a possible solution. Its flexibility is both a benefit and a drawback for this purpose though as it can be confusing and overwhelming for non-technical users.

I am not sure that accounting feature integration would necessarily be the most helpful addition, though it would certainly be ueful. Data interchange with Quickbooks would definitely be important for this audience, probably more important than any integrated "accounting" features. Sales and marketing features might be more interesting as they tend not to be otherwise covered by other systems.

The thing that seems most challenging here is integration with other existing systems to produce useful data, e.g. the user's website/webstore, or email marketing campaign software, etc. Using IQ as one tool in a "suite" of systems makes sense, but without data interchange it is limited in how much value it can bring to the table. Mobile support is also a must.

If you or anyone else is really interested in finding and/or developing the kind of product/suite I am looking for, perhaps it makes sense to create a public Redmine project instance so we can all collaborate on research, discussion, and planning...

- Oshyan

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 10:05 PM »
If I may chip in, IQ strength as a flexible CRM solution are:

1- Easy import of contact lists
2- Easy filtering and hoisting of this list to focus on a shorter list
3- Outline view with Contact list as main items and exchanges as sub-items (i.e. calls, emails, etc)
4- True multi-user database
5- Each data entered is date and user stamped
6- Pivot tables (and charts) are integrated to summarize activity (by month, by user, by region, etc)
7- Can pull and use data from ODBC sources, local or remote (SQL Server and MySQL hosting web data)
8- Rich-text pane can hold documents or link to web sites
9- Mail-merge (either integrated or using Word/Outlook)
10- Row and Column equations (calculate taxes, totals, licenses, etc), directly or through the built-in VBScript editor
11- Configuration requires some expertise, but once configured, can easily be used by on-technical users (a couple hours of training is all that is required), as the main UI is an Excel-like grid
12- Numerous backup options
13- Data can be viewing in many ways (any field can be a source of data, Calendar, Gantt, Journal)
14- Live search to quickly respond when "the phone rings"
15- Word and Excel can view and use IQ data "live", no need to export
[edit] 16- Built-in phone dialer (Ctrl+T). Finds numbers in all fields, even the HTML pane (i.e. a linked company web page). Looks into parent items too and provides a list of numbers for you to choose [/edit]

HTH
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:41 PM by PPLandry »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Good points PPLandry, I will definitely have to test IQ and see if I can find a good, easy workflow for them using it.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 06:46 PM »
I like the direction this is starting to go in.

Especially the part about leveraging something like IQ to pull it all together.

I haven't done too much with IQ beyond playing with it some time back. But from what I did see, it looked like you could get it do anything if you put some thought and time into setting it up. Having IQ's creator as a member of this community is also a big plus should any questions come up.

Basically, this is a database project. So what you need is a data store of some sort plus some coded functions and "glue" to stick it all together.

Now you could go "open" with something like MySQL (or PostgreSQL), PHP and probably a little C++.  Alternatively, you could do a Microsoft solution using Microsoft SQL Server Express (or Access *meh*), MSOffice and Visual-whatever. But the possibility of using IQ as the base for a CRM project is very intriguing...

perhaps it makes sense to create a public Redmine project instance so we can all collaborate on research, discussion, and planning...

Sounds good to me. Anybody else interested?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Oh...JJones, quick question...

Before we go too far, have you looked into existing software packages to see if there might already be something that does the job and is affordable for them?

I got something like 13,100 hits when I googled "florist software."

This package looked particularly "mature":

http://www.floralsys...ems.com/index-2.html

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Hehe, yes fair question 40hz. I've looked into dedicated industry-specific solutions a bit, and wasn't too impressed. They go the route of "this is the way to do things for this industry", which as I said above could be a good thing, *but* they frankly appear to be too rigid in certain areas, basically requiring you buy into their solution end-to-end, or go with specific vendors, etc. We're talking about an existing, functional business, which does like some of the systems they use, e.g. Quickbooks, e-commerce solution, etc. Not to mention cost, as I was hoping to keep it reasonably cheap. Free/Open Source ideal. :D

That being said it's a good reminder for me to look more in-depth with those dedicated systems.

Regardless though I still think there's need for a more integrated and easy to use small-business solution like we've been discussing. So I'm still interested in the project...

- Oshyan

AEngineer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • James E. Mitchell - Drexel University
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I suggest that you take a look at an online solution.  I serve on the board of a small nonprofit and did a search for them to address what sounds like similar problems.  I was quite impressed with Zoho's CRM solution.  They haven't yet chosen to put it into play so I cannot testify to how well it works in practice, but my test drive (free) impressed me.  It's free for three users and $12/user/month above that:  ZohoCRM Pricing.
Jim Mitchell