ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Low energy use always on pc -- what's better, a laptop or a mini (htpc) pc?

<< < (5/7) > >>

JavaJones:
Oh wow, fit-PC2 is cuuute! It's the size of a small router for god's sake! And 8W *under load*? I think we may have our winner. I wish the Phoronix review had power measurement and comparison with their reference system though. I'm curious just how much more power a dual core Atom with ION uses. If it's just a bit, then I'd be inclined to go for that since it's still ultra low power, but more capable. Still, the fit-PC2 is awesome for most needs IMO.

40hz, I've resisted saying this in the past when others have done so, but now I am compelled: you really do know something useful about everything, don't you?

- Oshyan

nudone:
sorry to not add anything about power consumption, i'm just wondering if it's worth considering which machine you'd prefer to own if/after you become bored with your experiment. which is more useful to you in the long run - netbook or desktop pc.

mouser:
wondering if it's worth considering which machine you'd prefer to own if/after you become bored with your experiment
--- End quote ---
nick, that's definitely a question i am asking myself, as well as the question that JJ points out -- do i want to have fun tinkering with hardware or do i want to get right to the software.  not sure the answer to either just yet.

but basically from what i am hearing, there is no really strong reason to prefer one over the other in terms of power use and longevity, though laptops may have an advantage in terms of convenience and power use, and mico pcs in terms of longevity and maintenance costs.

40hz:
If you're up for tinkering, one good source for micro-mini and pico form factor hardware is   www.mini-box.com

They've got a very big selection. We looked at building until we found out about the fit-PC product line and went with that just to save some time and money.

If I were configuring something like a custom RADIUS server/router combo, or some fancy Asterisk box, I'd probably build. But for everything else, I'd rather just buy and "get busy" using it. That might be because I know a lot more about software than I do about hardware; so once I have a running system, I can almost always get it to do what I want.

If you're a real hardware wonk you'll probably feel differently about it. ;D

:)

Eóin:
Not to hijack, but I never heard of a wonk before  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version