ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Low energy use always on pc -- what's better, a laptop or a mini (htpc) pc?

<< < (3/7) > >>

mouser:
ok so f0dder is one vote for a tiny pc instead of a laptop, e.g.: http://www.mini-itx.com/

Eóin:
I ordered myself two of these BeagleBoards just recently for a similar purpose to what you're suggesting.

4wd:
ok so f0dder is one vote for a tiny pc instead of a laptop, e.g.: http://www.mini-itx.com/
-mouser (March 30, 2010, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for an Atom based Mini-ITX machine - the newer D410 and D510 will also let you choose an x64 OS.

JavaJones:
Eoin's example is exactly the direction I was going in until you said you wanted basically a low-power general purpose PC with standard OS. You could run Linux on the BeagleBoard, but not Windows (well, except WinCE), so it may be a bit limiting.

So my vote would probably be for a "tiny PC", probably Atom-based, like f0dder said. That's as long as you really have no need for the portability of a laptop, and particularly if you have interest in more flexibility and customization down the road.

A big question is what you'll be using for display. If you're putting it through a TV, the screen on a laptop will be a waste. So might as well go with the small PC option. However if you'll need some kind of display and it won't be an existing TV, then the laptop option starts to sound better.

- Oshyan

mouser:
none of you have actually addressed my 2 explicit concerns:
1) power usage? (is one much higher than the other?)
2) longevity of device? (is one more likely to outlast the other if they are on 24/7?)

the portability and built in screen on a laptop is a plus, but not a showstopper.

since the device does not have to be placed in a really tiny space, i dont need a really tiny beagleboard type thing; in terms of size, a mini-itx would be fine, as would a laptop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version